Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took both Kye (5 1/2 mo) and Cooper (10 wks) to the Vets sat. Coop to have his second shots and Kye to be weighed so we know what weight heartguard to buy. Both were doing great as dogs came in and left, but an older man came out of the exam room with a LARGE, very old, Husky mix (at least 120 lbs) and Kye took one look and went bananas. The old dog was just standing there not doing a thing, and thankfully we were across the room, but she was very scared, barking, growling, lunging acting like she wanted to tear him apart....upset Cooper cause he has never seen his big sis act like this, and Kye has Never done this before! We are out in the country, but I have worked very hard to daily expose both pups to other neighborhood dogs (who had their shots), but admittedly most of these dogs are smaller. I just don't know of anyone in our area with large dogs so she could see on a routine basis. Puppy/dog classes are not offered here and Vet does not want Cooper exposed to other dogs until he has finished his shots. Kye is a wonderful loving girl who, so far, has liked all the dogs we have met and even wagged her tail at the Vets at the different smaller dogs...just this BIG ole wooley HUGE old boy drove her nuts. I was embarassed for my girl and felt so bad she was so scared. I definately need to introduce her to bigger dogs, but am at a loss on how this can be arranged. We have a larger town about an hour away that might have classes...... We work with both dogs many times a day and both know the basics, sit, down, lay very well. We walk every evening with a group of neighbors but again all their dogs are Kye's size or smaller. Does anyone have any suggestions, or could this just be a faze she is going through, once in a lifetime thing? Would really like both Kye and Cooper to like ALL sizes of dogs. We have 3 small Biewers (yorkie) and they are so good around them and always like the neighbors small/med sized dogs. Good note is that big ole wooley Huskey acted like Kye was invisible. I appoligized over and over to the man and took Kye outside to just walk around and get over her fright. We waited until the man had crated his dog in his truck before going back into the Vet and she was fine for the rest of our visit. I feel this was my fault. I have missed something and need to correct before Cooper pickes up on a fear of BIG dogs too.

Need help and any suggestions of what I could have done better?

·
luverofpeanuts
154 Posts
I think I would have reacted the same way. It's tough when you're handling two dogs at once...they can be a handful for sure!

I think sometimes, some dogs just raise a red flag and it takes them some getting used to. The fact that your pups where fine with all or most of the other dogs means to me that the Husky's vibe just didn't sit well with Kye. I guess I wouldn't stress about it too much until you notice it become a pattern of behavior.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree. It sounds like for some reason she didn't like this dog...maybe she was feeling protective of your little one. I would continue to try to expose her to lots of dogs of all sizes when you can. Just watch your own body language and energy around them. If you get stressed she might too.

I think you handled it as well as you could.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts