Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of your favorite kong recipes?

I like to put natural peanut butter in it. Sometimes I'll mash a banana into it. When I have time I like to cover the small hole with peanut butter, fill with applesauce, cover big hole with peanut butter and freeze - i'll often stick a veggie out of the big end (like a brocoli florette or carrot) before I freeze it. I mix up various yogurt concoctions that I freeze (I cover both ends with peanut butter for this too) - always with non-fat plain yogurt. The most basic is yogurt with a little water. Or, yogurt with kibble mixed in and a little water frozen. Yogurt with pumpkin. Yogurt with peanutbutter mixed in and a little water.

Sometimes I'll just put a little pumpkin in it and freeze that - or not freeze it if she's enjoying it outside. What other things do y'all do with your kongs? I've tried sticking a large dog biscuit in, but Milly usually just bites off the sticking out end and gives up.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Since I feed my dogs raw, sometimes I'll put their ground meat and veggie mix in the kong and freeze it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I do pretty similar to what you do. I like using yogurt, pumpkin, and some peanut butter for fillers. Then I'll add different things like moistened kibble, baby carrots, small dog treats, etc.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
The one I made for Hank this past Friday had peanutbutter, some of his kibble, a couple of soft treats and that liver-flavored squirt stuff made for Kongs. He's had all these things one time or other in the past and since he's only 5.5 mos. I didn't want to get too exotic with the filler and have tummy problems. I bought another Kong yesterday, so now I have two all made up waiting in the freezer.

·
beach bound
29 Posts
thanks for all the ideas..my dog loves his kongs..I just never thought of freezing them! Great ideas...thats why i love this forum! It is the best!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased a Kong for Sasha and I was wondering, are you stuffing the inside full and then freezing? I have been putting the hard treats half way in and when she breaks the end off the remainder falls inside and she gets bored trying to get it out. This takes her a whole two minutes, so I am not getting the results I had hoped for. Please give me a detailed instruction on how to get the best use from this thing called Kong. Thanks.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Jamie was not that interested in working to get anything out when he was a little puppy either. He has recently (18 mos) gotten so he will work on them. I have been putting in kibble or biscuits and pouring in melted velveeta cheese. You have to wait for it to cool though. Sometimes I put in kibble and kind of cement it in with peanut butter.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
... and I was wondering, are you stuffing the inside full and then freezing?
Yes, I stuff it full then freeze it.

I "layer" the liver-flavored squirt stuff made for kongs, peanutbutter, kibble & soft treats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great ideas! My pup loves her kong, but I never thought to put anything but Peanut Butter, treats and that squirt can of stuff in it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ik, just hit me upside the head until I get it. Is the idea that the dog will lick the stuff that is inside out? I can not see everything coming out, so is it common to have to clean the inside after every use? Also, I have the next to biggest size and Sasha can not get her tongue in it. Just me being dumb.

Yes, I stuff it full then freeze it.

I "layer" the liver-flavored squirt stuff made for kongs, peanutbutter, kibble & soft treats.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Yep! You've got it!

Yes, I wash after every use....just to clean off the dog spit - not that there is any food left to clean ;)

I only buy the Large size......someone gave me a puppy Kong....but it really doesn't hold enough for a Golden puppy...

Steamed sweet potato smushed into a Kong is a favorite around here. <low fat, full of fiber and vitamins>

Great for days when running is either too hot or too cold...or if I need them distracted for a while when working on a project.

Ik, just hit me upside the head until I get it. Is the idea that the dog will lick the stuff that is inside out? I can not see everything coming out, so is it common to have to clean the inside after every use? Also, I have the next to biggest size and Sasha can not get her tongue in it. Just me being dumb.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I'm a huge fan of freezing peanut butter inside of a Kong. Sometimes I will even put a piece of a banana in there as well as pieces of kibble or liver treats mixed in with the peanut butter. We have the XL size red Kongs. I find the others to be a bit too small.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I absolutely love surprising the dogs with new kong recipes. Chicken and sweet potato baby food (the kind with no onions anywhere in the ingredients) a small piece of rotesserie chicken, some peanut butter, a little kibble, a small piece of string cheese and then the hole plugged with a solid chunk of a harder biscuit so it takes them a while to get to the good stuff.

I toss the kongs right in the dishwasher

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Leftovers work well.... Mac&Cheese, mashed potatoes, rice, stir-fry, bits of meat...

My "quickie Kong" is usually a little kibble (I feed raw, but keep kibble on hand), a few treats and a blob of peanut butter or squeeze cheese. In fact, I have that mix in the freezer right now!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Thanks for the wonderful ideas! I really like the yogurt idea! I read alot around here about dog and gut problems and thinking that maybe yogurt might do a bit of good in a dogs gut.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Santa Claus just brought Kongs to my house. Now I am wondering why he never brought them sooner.

I have fed them most of a meal in them topped with cream cheese. Is a little cream cheese ok for them? Definitely slows them down.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Has anyone had any upset tummies from using peanut butter? Jack is still pretty new to the Kong and just got his first Kong with peanut butter this morning. He's done fine with american cheese for training but the Solid Gold lamb jerky treats I bought did a number on his tummy- so those are stopped until he gets older.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Molly's favorites:

1- Carrots + cheese.
2- Kibbles + berries sealed with peanut butter.
3- chicken or tuna or ham + kibbles

Whatever recipe I choose, I always freeze it! It last longer! :wave:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts