Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Loki's mommy
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wavey: Hi everyone!
Just wondering if anybody had any issues with using a kong? I came home from work the other day and my dad was telling me to watch Loki with his kong. He had been talking to his co-worker and her dog had chewed a big piece of it off and needed surgery to remove it. I've only heard good things about kongs before, and we even just bought one for my uncle's dog since Loki likes his so much. So I was just curious if anybody else knew of problems like that with them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We've never had any issues with Neo and his kong. We have the one that is shaped like a ball. Since he was in love with his squeaky balls this was the only one that he liked at the pet store. We only leave him alone with it for a few hours at most and when we get home the kong is inspected for any pieces that could have been chewed off. We haven't had any issues and Neo loves it. Its great to use when Chris and I need to get some work done without Neo underfoot. I love it!!!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Personally I've never had any issues with Kongs, however I do know dogs who have chewed up the red kongs and a few who have put holes into a black kong.

I would suggest buying a black kong, unless you can find the RARE blue kong, which is the very toughest!!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Zoey has 2 red kongs. A little one from when she was a baby and now she has a huge red one. We've never had any problems with either.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
We have two red kongs and one black one. No problems, they have only chewed the rim around the smaller hole. Like others have said, if you are worried stick with the black one.

Also with any new toy watch to see how your dog does with it before you leave them alone with it...

·
Loki's mommy
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has a red one now, and he has been pretty good with it. He won't bother with it unless it is filled, and when he is done he just buries it in my bed. That seems to be his new hiding place for his favorite toys :doh: If i see he starts to chew through it, I will get him the black one for sure. He is never alone with it so at least if he does start to break it, it would get taken away from him pretty quick. I love how it keeps him busy for a little while. And it is the only thing that will let me dry him off after his bath. He loves the bath, but not the towels after. But as long as he has his kong, I can rub him with towels as long as I need to.

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
Gibson doesn't even look at his Kong unless there is something yummy in it. He's not a very big chewer, though, and wouldn't chew off pieces anyway.
I do know a few Labs who can probably chew off pieces of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts