Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good treats to put in the kongs?? I have been in search for treats lately but nothing has really caught my attention. Is there anything you guys recommend for a puppy?? THANKS! :wavey:

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
our kongs are filled with half a banana, a scoop of plain yogurt or pumpkin, then filled with kibble, topped with peanut butter & a bone stuck in the top. then frozen.

I have 4 (2 dogs) and keep them all full in the freezer for when we have to be gone for very long.

if we don't have any bananas, I throw in some apple or carrot pieces, they also like pears & Layla likes mandarin oranges.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
our kongs are filled with half a banana, a scoop of plain yogurt or pumpkin, then filled with kibble, topped with peanut butter & a bone stuck in the top. then frozen.

I have 4 (2 dogs) and keep them all full in the freezer for when we have to be gone for very long.

if we don't have any bananas, I throw in some apple or carrot pieces, they also like pears & Layla likes mandarin oranges.

WOW! I would of never imagined feeding this to Lucy!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Don't forget to take Lucy for the occasional ice cream cone treat. I used to do that with Daisy when she was a puppy, people would get the biggest kick out of it.

Don't let her eat it too fast, of course. And vanilla is best. I gave Daisy blueberry once but she threw it up! She never threw up vanilla :)

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
WOW! I would of never imagined feeding this to Lucy!
my Blush has gluten allergies & I'm not a fan of processed treats, so I get creative. fruits, veggies, & yogurt are healthier than the processed cheese or peanut butter product that you shoot from a can.

there are entire website for kong recipes, most owners don't like the processed stuff either.

have fun with it, she'll eat about anything! just stay away from onions, grapes, raisins, fatty/greasy foods & chocolate, some dogs also have issues with potatoes.

we also sometimes add shredded chicken, tuna, or a raw egg instead of kibble.

remember to adjust her meals based on her calorie intake of treats each day.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I put in dried liver bits, peanut butter, carrots, apple and pumpkin (I usually have a can open for their dinner). I can't seem to find the kongs right now, but I did find 10 tennis balls when I moved the couch. I suspect the kongs have rolled under another piece of furniture.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are simply the best!!!! I know, the reason why I have not purchased any of the treats is because everytime I see the ingredients, it freaks me out. I already have her kong waiting for her in her crate for her arrival. But would it be a good idea to wait a little longer before I introduce her to the kong?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Keep it simple at first since she is still a young puppy. You don't want her to have diarrhea from too many new things.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget to take Lucy for the occasional ice cream cone treat. I used to do that with Daisy when she was a puppy, people would get the biggest kick out of it.

Don't let her eat it too fast, of course. And vanilla is best. I gave Daisy blueberry once but she threw it up! She never threw up vanilla :)

I didnt know they can eat icecream. It sounds like a great time... something I will most definitely be doing in the near future. I can't wait :bowl:

·
prince's mommy
75 Posts
We use peanut butter and Prince loves it.

About the ice cream cone, there's a place down the street from us that had peanut butter flavored ice cream and we get that for him when we go there :)

·
SunKissed Goldens
974 Posts
Ours usually have kibble and peanut butter in them. You might want to use more kibble than peanut butter when she's a baby. :) They last much longer if you freeze them. We always have some in our freezer.

Good luck with your new baby ~ she's adorable!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ours usually have kibble and peanut butter in them. You might want to use more kibble than peanut butter when she's a baby. :) They last much longer if you freeze them. We always have some in our freezer.

Good luck with your new baby ~ she's adorable!
Thank you. I'm loading a video I took of her on Saturday but it's taking very long.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Try this link, it also has links to other ideas ;-):
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=34062&highlight=kong+treats

Sienna's kongs are our saviors since we work full time. Most of the time it is a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt and a half of banana sliced- put it the freezer on a small plate- it leaks before it completely freezes LOL). She also has one with a big spoonful of peanut butter and kibble- frozen.

She lives for them LOL. Our doggy helper gives them to her after she has come to let her out for her potty break.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try this link, it also has links to other ideas ;-):
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=34062&highlight=kong+treats

Sienna's kongs are our saviors since we work full time. Most of the time it is a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt and a half of banana sliced- put it the freezer on a small plate- it leaks before it completely freezes LOL). She also has one with a big spoonful of peanut butter and kibble- frozen.

She lives for them LOL. Our doggy helper gives them to her after she has come to let her out for her potty break.

Thank you :D Sienna is so beautiful.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts