Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need suggestions for some good stuff to put in a Kong.

Gunner tends to bark and howl like a maniac when I leave to take Riley for his walk. I can still hear him when we're five houses down the block (even in the winter, with the house closed up :uhoh:) so we're trying to get that under control before we move. Don't want to tick off the new neighbors!

I bought a Kong, figuring that if I leave him with something really good to work on, he won't care that we've gone off without him. Yesterday, I tried stuffing it with goose liver - that braunschweiger stuff, or whatever it is. He loved it, but I think he might be allergic to it. His ears blew up like crazy and are all beet red, gunky and itchy this morning.

What else can I put in there that will hold his attention? It has to be really, really good stuff because he's not food-motivated. Any ideas?

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I've used peanut butter/bananas; sweet potatoes/cheese whiz; ground beef/rice/veggies;chicken liver/green beans;pumpkin/yogurt.

Our dogs LOVE food so anything goes in our house!!!!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Speaking of the subject of Kongs. I'm wondering if the older the dog gets the better able they become at accomplishing this Kong-ability? I put Smucker's all natural peanut butter in there yesterday to occupy her while I went out and I didn't fill it completely full, that seemed like an awful lot for a 9 week old puppy. Anyway, when I came back, there was still peanut butter in it, which had pooled down to the narrow end. Cleaning it out was quite a chore.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've just started doing the Kong stuffing for Sophie. I didn't want to fill it all the way with peanut butter either because it seems like a lot and I'm afraid with the high fat it could give Sophie an upset stomach.

I like to put a small carrot in the tiny hole at the end, rub peanut butter around the inside as far as I can reach then put a couple more baby carrots, green beans, and some of her food inside and fill it with water. I've also stuck a dog bone out the big end and then put it in the freezer over night. Sophie will work on this for at least an hour!

There are also several websites with kong recipes. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I've seen several comments recently, cautioning about not plugging up the end hole so that dogs aren't getting suction-cupped-stuck with kongs. This tends to be more of an incident with non-brand-name kong products... the regular kongs all have holes and some people are now suggesting that when you are stuffing a kong to stick a straw all the way through to keep the hole clear while you freeze it... I haven't done that yet...but probably should.

Stuffing: My usual mixture is canned dog food mixed with kibble and then frozen to make it last longer. The mixture will stuff 5-6 kongs. Whatever type of filling you use, you can typically mix in some kibble to help stretch the gooey stuff to last longer, and also to have less upset stomachs.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
They definitely get better at de-stuffing kongs as they get used to them. A cookie in a kong used to keep ranger entertained for 30 mins and now he gets it out under 2 minutes. I buy the XL kongs since I can fit more stuff in them. Here's Ranger's kong recipe of the week (keeps him occupied for an hour or more) from bottom (little hole) to top:
- sprinkling of kibble
- soft, stinky cookie (or little piece of cheese)
- half a banana, mashed up
- 3-4 big cookies (try to find ones that are a little wider than the big hole so you have to wedge them in real well)
- peanut butter to cover the cookies and the hole
- Put in freezer for at least a day

The mashed banana is great since the cookies squish it down and it oozes all around the cookies. Ranger was getting a little plump when I used the peanut butter as a filler, plus like someone says it can get all nasty and white at the very bottom if the dogs can't reach it. Haven't had that problem with the banana.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen several comments recently, cautioning about not plugging up the end hole so that dogs aren't getting suction-cupped-stuck with kongs. This tends to be more of an incident with non-brand-name kong products... the regular kongs all have holes and some people are now suggesting that when you are stuffing a kong to stick a straw all the way through to keep the hole clear while you freeze it... I haven't done that yet...but probably should.
I worry about the safety of it, too. I don't necessarily like the idea of going off and leaving him alone with a Kong. I've heard some horror stories.

I don't know what might be safer to leave with him, though. Would a big, fresh knuckle bone from the butcher counter be a safer alternative, or would that be even worse?
It has to be something irresistable, to make him more interested in that than voicing his displeasure about me going off with Riley.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I didn't even think about the suctioning. I just plugged the hole all the way so nothing would run out while it was freezing :doh: I should probably start doing the straw thing too. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts