Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. We aren't even getting our puppy till the spring, but I'm trying to become as educated and prepared as possible. I have been reading Ian Dunbar's book Before and After Getting your Puppy, and between that, and advice I've been reading on this forum, I thought I understood that a smart way to feed your pup at least one if not all his meals in the beginning is in a Kong. My girlfriend just brought her puppy home (2nd dog), and told me that doesn't work because a puppy's food needs to be moistened, and that you shouldn't put moistened food in a kong because it will just make a huge mess as it spills out all over the place. When I asked her about freezing it, she said it would be too hard for him to get out. Her little guy wolfs down his food SO fast (less than 30 seconds and his small bowl of food is GONE), it seems like the KONG idea is such a good one, as it lets them take their time, focus on chewing food as opposed to my furniture, and gets their little brain working..... But she's the dog expert not me.... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I usually do both. Some days I put the meal in a kong, others not. Everyday I do put a meal into a ball that the dog has to roll around to get the food out, called a Buster Cube or Tricky Treat Ball. It slows down eating and works the mind.

There are bowls you can buy to slow down a dog's eating (Brakefast Bowl). You can also put a tennis ball in the bowl, put the food in a muffin tin, spread it out on the floor, etc.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
JMO, but I don't have the time to mess with stuffing a kong 3 meals a day at that age.
I love using a kong to keep Hank busy when we have guests as a treat but not for meals. For chewing fun he likes bully sticks and deer antlers,

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I'm all for as many meal out of a KONG or similar toy as you can manage! Work that little brain (tires him out!) and keep him busy!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
You dont have to soak the food until soggy ...just moisten the outside of the kibble so the kibble with freeze together yet still thaw fairly quickly.

I put about 3/4 cup of food in the Kong...runs some tap water through the Kong over the sink...the excess water flows out the small hole......put the Kong in a plastic bag and toss in the freezer for a couple of hours.

It is easy, doesnt make any mess when preparing or when the pup eats, and keeps the puppy busy....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts