Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let Kody out yesterday, we have a invisible fence. It wasnt 10 min I heard this loud yelping, I fly out the door and a neighbor jumps his fence to help a pit/boxer jumped Kody and bit him. He is so lucky, I feel horrible like I let him down. He has a hole on his leg where he was bitten. I cleaned it, do you think I should do anything else, take him to the animal hospital Im still freakin out, thats my boy and he wouldnt hurt a flea. I think hes in shock... please help... Im going to drive the neighbor hood looking for the dog and owner, thanks Rick

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I would definitely get him to the vet and report the attack to Animal Control.
Poor baby. Sure hope he is OK.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
So sorry to hear about what happened to Cody. Definitely get him checked out, he might need stitches or an antibiotic. I also think reporting this to animal control is a good idea.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Definitely get him to the vet..... esp since you don't know the dog and whether he is vaccinated or healthy. I never, even with a fenced back yard, let my dogs out alone. There's way too much that can happen or that they can get in to ... and theft is a big issue too. Give your sweetie some extra love and attention, and make sure to continue socializing him so he knows other dogs and people are not to be feared.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Yup vet. Try and locate the dog owner if he had tags. They will probably ask you to keep him under house arrest for a period until they can confirm the other dog did not have rabies etc.

You need to go to the vet just for that reason along, plus he needs his wound cleaned and maybe a stitch or antibiotic depending how deep it is.

Poor baby. Report it...for the safety of your guy and others in your area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know how Dave got him off Kody, maybe scared him. I didnt think to ask how, I was so worried. Im going to call Banfield Hospital when they open, the bite is a small hole. I have never been so scared and MAD.
Thank you so much
Rick

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I'm sure the vet hospital will encourage you to report this. You really do need to, not just for your Cody but for all the neighbor dogs, as well. This is a dangerous dog and the owner needs to be put on notice.

So I'm assuming this is the first time this has happened? Have you found out where the dog lives? Maybe it's a new dog? Or maybe the dog got loose somehow ... whatever, the owner needs to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I wouldn't let your dog outside again without you right there. How are you going to feel safe again? It takes awhile to recover from something like this. Your Cody will be fine, maybe will need an antibiotic. I'm just worried this dog will be back and I imagine you are too.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yes, get to the vet right away, he may need an antibiotic as well as other treatment. That is such a scary thing to go through! When our Rusty was 10 months old he jumped our fence and got in the neighbor's yard two doors down who had 2 pit bulls. He just wanted to play but they both attacked him viciously, going right for the throat. He used his front legs to protect himself and they tore his legs to pieces. They had to beat the pits off him with shovels and I put him in the car right away and we flew to the vet. When the dr. saw his legs he said he looked like he had been through a combine. It was several weeks of back and forth to the vet for treatment and he was in a lot of pain at times. We had to carry him outside to go potty. I felt so guilty too for not going outside with him the day he was attacked. Nothing happened to the other dogs because he was in THIER yard. The owner was a single mom with little children and I always worried about them attacking the kids. They finally moved away and it was such a relief not to have the dogs in the neighborhood anymore. You can be sure that I went outside with him every single time after that. Fortunately he healed and had no physical problems with his legs and his sweet personality stayed intact as well. We eventually moved too and the house right behind us where we are now was sold about a year ago. I let the dogs out to go potty one day and happened to look out the back window and saw two pitbulls in the backyard of the sold property. I flew out that door so fast and headed straight for the back fence! Fortunately the pits belonged to a friend of the new owner and I explained my fears and told her what had happened before. Those dogs have never been back to that house again! Whew!

I hope you find the dog and it's owner and can find out if it is up to date with shots, etc. and I hope Kody is ok. Keeping you guys in my prayers! I know what you are going through!

·
Rufus' Mom aka Linda
1,357 Posts
We went through the same type of thing last week when a neighbour's dog went after Rufus...it's very scary and I'm sorry you and Kody experienced this! I would definitely get him to the vet and report the incident. You're so fortunate to have such a good neighbour. I hope Kody is OK and this didn't scare him too badly.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I am so sorry this happened to Kody. I think you should take him to the vet right away. What a scary and horrible thing. Please let us know what the vet says, and I do think that the attack should be reported.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Sorry this happened. Yes he should be seen by a Vet. Ike was bitten by my nephew's pit mix while at a family function and the bite, after cleaning, did not look like it needed stitches....though my gut said to 'go to Vet right now anyway', I let those around me sway me and I did not go. I watched the bite as it scabbed over and looked like it was healing fine. 5 days later, the scab pushes off and there is oozing infection underneath. My Vet told me that it could have used a stitch or two and that he should have been on antibiotics in case of infection. This bite was on Ike's face too...now he'll forever have a scar because of my negligence. :( Trust your gut always....even if a room full of people tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I would take him to the vet and report it. And make sure this dog has had its rabies shot. Another reason why invisible fences are a horrible idea.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened to your Kody. I'd make a vet appointment, in the meantime douse it with hydrogen peroxide. That's what the vet had me do when our cat was attacked. He had a bite wound on his face.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Just be careful with the hydrogen peroxide. You need to dilute it by 50% with water, otherwise it can actually damage a wound instead of helping clean it out.

I went through this many times when my corgi/chow would attack Jasmine. Jasmine always had multiple puncture marks after a fight. It got so that my vet kept me in stock with antibiotics because she knew I would clean Jasmine up and start her on antibiotics right away.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts