Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Urgh, it's always something! We finally got over all the other bad things and now this. The dumb sitter struck again...Koda (9.5 month, 70 lb, female) tore up her baby while the sitter was over yesterday so it was in shambles...and she put it in the hallway with Koda for the rest of the day. We came home to find the nose of her baby missing...she had to of eaten it, we searched everywhere. It isn't much and it is only the fabric as she took all the stuffing out with the sitter over...its about as much fabric as you would need to wrap around a golf ball...so not much.

We called the vet last night to see what they thought we should do and they said give it a few days to pass on its own. They weren't concerned about something of that size. We know what to watch for.

So far she has pooped twice since she would have eaten it, ate her food normally, drank her water, played like a crazy girl!

How long till we should see it pass though..? three days?? I just want to make sure we have the vet take a look as soon as its been too long...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Koda

Give it a day or so. My Lab ate all kinds of things. He tore up and ate part of a small alarm clock, tore up a TV remote (we never found all the pieces so we assume he ate them.) He had no trouble passing them so Koda should do fine. (Noah was a year old when he did that.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
You'll be surprised at what they can pass. Levi has a thing for granola bars still in the wrappers and I swear they come out still wrapped and the yard is very shiny. It seems like it would take 2-3 days for it all to work it's way out of his system. The worst was when he ate the pad from the bottom of a pack of chicken. It came out whole and almost clean! I was standing on the porch and couldn't figure out what he was passing. I sure feel like a bad doggie mom thinking about him eating that stuff but it was when I first got him and I had never had a counter surfing, trash can knocking over, bag stealing dog before so there was a bit of a learning curve and I learned fast that if it isn't behind a locked door it's fair game.

Since she isn't a tiny puppy I'm guessing her system can pass that bit of her toy through. I didn't worry about Levi as much because he's HUGE and I guess I assume he has bigger guts. I know there are threads on the board about the things our doggies have eaten... It sounds like you are diligently watching what's going in and out and if that changes you'll know to call the vet. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Bentley ate the Santa hat off his Kong reindeer. I think it reappeared about 2 or 3 days later. I know it had been awhile because I had forgetten that he ate it and FREAKED out when I saw red in his poop (thought it was blood). It was probably as much fabric as you're talking about with a white ball on the end. Oh Koda, take it easy on your Mommy :)

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, this is reassuring! I think once we pass this we are going to be in the clear. We have overcome a lot this last month with her but she makes it all worth it with her snuggles and love! :)

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
I would wait to see. Look at her stools in the backyard. That's what I would do. Recently I found a $1.00 bill in her stool. Somehow she ate my money!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yup. It'll pass. Butter tore up and swallowed some of his bedding several months ago. It passed fine, but I had to do the chicken and rice diet for him for a few days.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sterling Archer. I will be prepared to serve that up. I wasn't planning on that but I will watch for that problem to occur!!!

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
I shall yell at her for you.....OK here goes......Where"s the pretty girl!!!...Where's the pretty girl!!!!!......OK. How did I do/
(she's too cute to yell at)

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would wait to see. Look at her stools in the backyard. That's what I would do. Recently I found a $1.00 bill in her stool. Somehow she ate my money!!
That's happened to us too!

Ozzy will eat things if given the chance. As long as it seems small enough (and it sounds like what Koda ate was that small) I wouldn't worry about it. It will come out. If it get's stuck, you'll know. When Ozzy had his obstruction he was REALLY sick.

But, I know you'll worry anyway just because that's what we do :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts