Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vito is eating Innova red meat large bites. I was getting it free from a friend who gets it in vet school, but, unfortunately Natura is not participating in the program anymore. He has been eating it since August.

Anyway, he was doing fantastic. But recently he has started chewing on his paws a lot...itching more. The bigger problem is ear infections. He had a yeast infection in his left ear about a month ago and today noticed he was shaking his head a bit. Checked his ears, and not his right one is inflamed and dirty. He hasn't been in water and never gets ear infections. His coat still looks great.

So, we are coming to the end of our last bag of Innova and am wondering if I should switch? Could these issues be caused by something else?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Murphy just got done having a yeast infection in his ear, and my vet said just to keep it clean with the solution he gave me but it's not uncommon. I would say ask the vet about these things before assuming it's the food.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I feel your pain! We went through the same thing with Tucker with constant ear yeast infections with both Pro Plan and Eukanuba. We finally switched him to California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato a couple of months ago and he hasn't had a single yeast infection in over a month and his coat looks and feels amazing! Our vet did put him on a 2-week course of Tri-Otic ointment when we first switched his food to help clear up the yeast infection that he had at the time, but his ears have been perfect ever since.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Murphy just got done having a yeast infection in his ear, and my vet said just to keep it clean with the solution he gave me but it's not uncommon. I would say ask the vet about these things before assuming it's the food.
I know it isn't uncommon, but, I'm really good about keeping his ears clean. His ears rarely collect build up- but they have just been sneaking up on him. He hasn't had an ear infection before the recent one since he was probably 4 months old.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
If you feel it may be a food allergy (and both my boys had the same thing), Innova has California Natural which is an excellent food and made specifically for dogs with allergies.

We fought dakota's ears for 4+ years and never won. 6 weeks or so after being on CN they cleared up and he never had an issue the rest of his life.

Vito is eating Innova red meat large bites. I was getting it free from a friend who gets it in vet school, but, unfortunately Natura is not participating in the program anymore. He has been eating it since August.

Anyway, he was doing fantastic. But recently he has started chewing on his paws a lot...itching more. The bigger problem is ear infections. He had a yeast infection in his left ear about a month ago and today noticed he was shaking his head a bit. Checked his ears, and not his right one is inflamed and dirty. He hasn't been in water and never gets ear infections. His coat still looks great.

So, we are coming to the end of our last bag of Innova and am wondering if I should switch? Could these issues be caused by something else?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Because he's been on the food for at least a few months without problems, I'd look at whether anything else has changed recently. Has he been swimming more? Are there particular plants or trees in your area that he may be allergic to? Rookie seems to have seasonal allergies. He gets a bit itchy and his eyes water in the spring and early fall. I also have to keep a close eye on his ears. And then he goes back to normal. In his case, nothing to do with the food.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because he's been on the food for at least a few months without problems, I'd look at whether anything else has changed recently. Has he been swimming more? Are there particular plants or trees in your area that he may be allergic to? Rookie seems to have seasonal allergies. He gets a bit itchy and his eyes water in the spring and early fall. I also have to keep a close eye on his ears. And then he goes back to normal. In his case, nothing to do with the food.
This is something I was wondering about. I mean- we did move at the beginning of September from Southern CA to Northern CA. I didn't notice any differences until about a month ago. Nothing in our routine has changed. No swimming and he hasn't really gone anywhere different. Could the season change have anything to do with it?? The trees are turning and dropping way more leaves, and it's colder. But that's about it!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
you're the 3rd person who has said their dog has recently had a problem with the red meat large bites. (one standard poodle, one great dane).
I'd contact the company and see if they've changed anything!!!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you're the 3rd person who has said their dog has recently had a problem with the red meat large bites. (one standard poodle, one great dane).
I'd contact the company and see if they've changed anything!!!
Really?? What issues were they having?? I'll contact Natura now. :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Both dogs (2 different owners) have been having allergy type issues. The poodle is itching, and his ears are loaded with brown gunk. His rear (around his rectum) is all inflammed.
The great dane is having allergy issues, too, but not in her ears. Hers are on the paws, and she, too, seems to be very itchy.
With the hard freezes, the worst of our environmental allergy season should be over so it's somewhat surprising to see this in both dogs.
When you call them, be sure to get past the flunkie that answers the phone and get to someone who actually knows something (I know, I'm cynical, but it's true).

Really?? What issues were they having?? I'll contact Natura now. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts