Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to who has children out there? How are your kids with your Golden and Vice Versa? What ages are they? Just kinda want to know what to expect when we get our Buzz ( He's an 18 month old rescue)

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Samson has been great with my kids, who are 20, 18, 16, 16 & 11. But he's also been great with nieces and nephews, as well, ages 2 and up.

We aren't sure yet about Cosmo....but so far, he's done great with my own kids.

·
Registered
40 Posts
All my girls are great with kids. They live with a 10,8 and 18 month old. They take turns in being nanny and there is always one by the babies side. They other day at dog club, Maisy saw a little one walking around trying to pat all the dogs. He came up to one that isnt particularly keen on kids and she went and sat in front of the boy facing the dog and smiling from ear to ear. It was as if she knew that the dog didnt like little tackers. She didnt move until the mother came rushing up to get him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
All my dogs are great with kids. They live with a 10,8 and 18 month old. They always share the babysitting of the baby. There is always one with her. The other day at dog club Maisy saw a toddler trying to pat all these dogs> He came up to one that isnt fond of kids and she went over and plonked herself between them facing the other dog with a grin from ear to ear. She stayed that way until the mother came and got her son. I guess she must have known that dog didnt like little tackers.

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
I have 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 4. My youngest child was only 2 when we bought Sam home. The only problem we had was Sam being over exuberant and playful and knocking over the little ones in her path to play! Involve the kids in the training and feeding helps ! I still have a problem with the pecking order with Sam particularly the youngest. She tries to get away with too much if I am not there. e.g running inside wet, pushing past him to get out etc etc.. But they are double trouble and the best of friends. One is never too far away from the other! It is a joy to watch them together!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wilson is 5 months old.

My kids who live at home are 17, 12, and 9. First thing in the morning, Wilson's a bit too energetic for the 9 yo to handle, but later in the day, they're best buds. The 12 yo does fine with him (she's been a dog person since she was born). When my 17 yo is around, they get along fine.

The biggest problem I have is with my oldest kids (19 and 21) who don't live at home anymore. Wilson gets so excited when they come over that he usually pees as soon as he sees them. Hopefully, someday he'll calm down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts