Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading an article recently in Whole Dog Journal, I am concerned that my current practice is not the best. In the article, it was mentioned that even food grade storage containers:
“And the wrong type of plastic can actually speed the decay of the food. Some plastics can actually absorb much of the vitamin C out of the food; it leaches out and is sucked right into the plastic material. This, of course, affects the shelf life of the food; with the low levels of antioxidant vitamin C, the fat starts to oxidize and this accelerates the spoilage."
Soooo...the best case scenario is to leave the food in the bag & store the bag in an airtight container. Question: what kind of a container large enough to hold a 30lb. bag of food would work? Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,950 Posts
First LoL on the quote. Doubtful that would happen in the 3 or 4 weeks a bag of food would last. If it even happens. The plastics they use for storing food and such should be safe or our own containers would have the same issues. If it's not a food storage container then there may be an issue.

Second, putting food in a storage container that is air tight will not keep your dog food any fresher than leaving it in the bag and folding the bag over and clipping it. Why? Because if you're opening the bag twice a day to get good out, you're letting fresh air in the container the same as opening the bag twice a day when feeding them. Moisture, not air oxidizes (make the food stale) the food, so think humidity.

The way you make the food stay fresh longer is to put the food in a container and use a second, smaller container to keep a weeks worth of food in so you're only opening the container storing the food is only opened once a week or so. This keeps the fresh air from entering the container twice a day.

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
The best but perhaps most expensive solution is to not buy huge bags of dog food, unless you are feeding a pack of dogs and the food is consumed quickly. When Oscar was eating kibble, we purchased 12 pound bags and kept them resealed, after squeezing as much of the air out of them as possible, then wrapping the bag with a rubber band. This kept the kibble fresh.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I use these to store food. They are air tight and have an O ring seal so nothing can get into them. The food doesn’t last long enough to worry about it. (We bought them for this purpose and they have never had ammo in them)

·
Kate
21,301 Posts
I don't immediately have a picture available, but yes - I buy 30# bags of dog food and keep the food in the bags and stored inside a plastic container. The plastic container I have is like this? The whole bag fits in there + dog food bowls sit on top of the bag and it closes. I have 2 of these containers and keep them in our kitchen pantry.

The bag DOES keep the food fresh longer.

Keeping the bags in a container discourages rodents if you have them + keeps the dogs and your cat (if you have one like mine) out of the food.

We used to spill the kibble into the containers and by the time we got down to the bottom portion of the container - the food would be a different color and the dogs would pick at the food or leave some behind.

By the way - keep your kibble in the house! I know people who keep the food in garages and you know the food is rotting because of warmer temps + getting bugs and rodents in there! Would YOU eat from a box of cereal kept in your garage?

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,210 Posts
If you look on the bag of dog food or on the manufacturer's website, they usually have storage instructions.

The brand I use, says to store it in original bag and keep it in a cool dry place.

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
I have the same type of container as Megora, and I too buy the 30lb dog food bags. We put the bag in the container, roll down the top and seal it in the plastic container. We keep it in a pantry and so far has worked well. We got that container at HomeGoods. It is specifically made for dog food.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've been using "The Handy Camel Bag Clip" for a couple of years now. It can be used on bags up to 40 pounds and I like that as the bag empties I just keep moving the clip down,
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.31.00 AM.png
and the handle is sturdy for lifting a bag of that weight. I store it in a kitchen closet and feel it stays quite fresh. I did buy it through Amazon but see it is no longer available there.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,950 Posts
The containers don't keep the food any fresher then turning the bass over and clipping it closed if you're opening the container twice a day to get good it off it. Once you open it and let fresh air in, the rate it takes the food to go stale is the same.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like the storage containers for quick access and convenience but I do keep the food in the bag and put the whole thing in the container. I actually cut the top of the bag to fit though...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The way you make the food stay fresh longer is to put the food in a container and use a second, smaller container to keep a weeks worth of food in so you're only opening the container storing the food is only opened once a week or so. This keeps the fresh air from entering the container twice a day.
That is a great idea! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the same type of container as Megora, and I too buy the 30lb dog food bags. We put the bag in the container, roll down the top and seal it in the plastic container. We keep it in a pantry and so far has worked well. We got that container at HomeGoods. It is specifically made for dog food.
I will be on the lookout for this. I have to do some measuring to see what will fit.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The containers don't keep the food any fresher then turning the bass over and clipping it closed if you're opening the container twice a day to get good it off it. Once you open it and let fresh air in, the rate it takes the food to go stale is the same.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your insight and ideas. The members of this forum never cease to amaze me with their diverse and clever perspectives. Now, enough screen time--go hug your puppies!

·
Registered
747 Posts
The thing about keeping the food in a bag is that dogs can easily chew their way thru the bag and free feed themselves. I had one that would chew off a bottem corner and SLOWLY snack his way throughout the day. Having more than one dog makes things that much worse. Hoisting 40lb bags of dog food to a "safe" height is not my idea of fun either.

That's when I bought the Vittles Vaults...problems gone! Additionally, critters can always find their way into a bag of food, and I hate the idea of attracting mice! We have Hantavirus (rodents are carriers) in Nevada, and that is super dangerous to man and beast alike!

A relative here had kept pet food in the bag and the rodents came for a feast. One got into the walls of his house and it cost a fortune to find and get rid of it. NO THANKS!

·
Puddles
3,971 Posts
I read the same article :)
I used to set the bag in a metal trash can, mainly to keep critters out.. I had a very friendly squirrel and can was in the attached garage. But now the food is in the house, space is limited but still pour it into a storage container to keep the kitties from turning the bags over :) But I also buy just enough food to last about 3 or 4 weeks so nothing is stored for very long. It's just not that much more expensive to buy often vs keeping bags stocked up in the freezer. Over the years my mindset has changed to letting the stores stock pile stuff, store is only a half a mile away so just get what you need for the short term. LOL Chewy has next day delivery at no extra charge...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's when I bought the Vittles Vaults...problems gone! Additionally, critters can always find their way into a bag of food, and I hate the idea of attracting mice! We have Hantavirus (rodents are carriers) in Nevada, and that is super dangerous to man and beast alike!

Yes!!! I have used Vittle Vaults for years. But I pour the food in, do not keep it the bag. So I just don't know how concerned I need to be over food degradation (plastic bin causing leaching & exposure to air). I have two Goldens, so we go through a 30 lb. bag relatively quickly. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts