Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doesn't matter what weather is out there, Kia & Lila just love swimming.
You see, people tell you, don't let them get wet during the winter time, but to be honest, Kia swims whole winter long and we've never seen her to catch a cold.
First time I saw Kia swimming during the winter time, there was like -20 outside, freezing, that I couldn't stand to be outside. Well, she found some hole in the ice and jumped in. I couldn't believe it, she enjoyed it so much.
We didn't wanted to let her do that, but eventually we learned, that even when water freezes on her and she ends up all covered in ice, she never gets cold or sick. She could be swimming for 30 minutes, roll in snow and be just fine.
Lila is little different, she is curious about cold water, but mostly avoids it. But during her first winter (on this video) she was only 8 months old, so maybe it will be different this year.
But as you see, she doesn't really mind to jump in, and she is not cold either.

Here is a little video, but I am sure I will find something better to show you later on...

Enjoy
Joe

PS. If video is not showing yet, give it 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
We don't have any videos of it but Abbey would actually break through the ice on our creek to be able to lay down or swim in the winter's cold water. I don't believe I ever saw her cold either! Still waiting for your video to be processed so I can view it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY MY MY that has to be COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is really cool.. in more ways than one.. hahahahahahahahhaahhahahhhahahahah Freezing COOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my gosh they must have been freezing.......nice warm towels and blankets I bet after that swim
What? naaahhh.... They would be running around with icicles on their fur being all just fine :)

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Ouch, that does look cold. But, that's what Goldens a built for. We have a winter (January) waterfowl season here, so that is when the working dogs are in the water. My guys swim all winter also, and the cold water does not affect them at all. In fact, they still avoid the wood stove when they come in the house. I don't put the heat on in the kennel until it's in the twenties.

They are not quite like Huskies, but Goldens are a hearty lot. Thanks for the video Joe, your doggies look GReat.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Awww!! I loved it!

That is just what they were built for--now you just need a duck for them to bring to you!

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Fabulous video! It looks like they are having such a wonderful time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts