Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 61 of 61 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,790 Posts
You did right. I hate "sue happy people", but there are times it really needs to be done. We had to get a lawyer after our 15 year old son was bitten on the back of the leg by a Geman Shepherd. Ron was on his paper route, riding his bike, two dogs came over a fence and the shepherd nailed him. Our doctor, after having to put stiches in Ron's leg said we needed sue. Well, i had no intention until i found Ron was the 3rd kid the dog had bit, the post office wouldn't even deliver mail to that house and neighbors were scared of the dog AND from th owner learned it had not been vaccianted agaisnt rabies, and a couple of people in austin had just had to take shots after being bitten by rabid bats.

They ignored our letters, but we contacted a lawyer and went armed with statements from people whose kids had been bitten, the post office, etc. The ironic thing is the day we went to see the lawyer, the dog got another kid and got him really bad. We only asked for $1000, thinking this would surely make them do something. Billy's parents asked for a lot mroe as he was bitten very bad--each child was bitten worse than the one before. We got the money, and they put extension on their fence so the dogs couldn't go over it.

In your case, you did force the issue and the vet will be more careful in the future. you may have saved other dogs.

61 - 61 of 61 Posts