Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Jesse has kennel cough :( She woke us in the middle of the night a couple of nights ago coughing and gagging and it continued for about 45 minutes - I have never seen/heard a dog with kennel cough and I thought she had something stuck in her throat!! We took her down to the local emergency vet and they said it could be kennel cough or a reaction to an insect she had eaten (she does eat alot of insects!!). But, the coughing got worse yesterday and so back to the vet for anti-inflammatories, antibiotics and cough mixture. She seems much happier this morning. I didn't even realise that she was at risk since she had been vaccinated against it - but the vet said that it should at least be a milder and shorter version of it.

After speaking to the two vets with some conflicting advice I have a few questions:
- How long before she can come into contact with other dogs? (one vet said as soon as she isn't coughing, the other said to give it a few days once she stops coughing)
- Is it true that kennel cough often re-occurs once dogs have had it once?
- Is it only direct contact with other dogs that will transmit the disease? So, could I walk her around our local streets as long as we cross to the other side if we see a dog coming?
- Do I need to keep her quiet? She seems almost as hyper as usual (after catching up on some much needed sleep with the help of a sedative)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your pup is going through this. I don't have the answers to all your questions, but when our neighbor's dog had kennel cough, our vet told us Brady shouldn't play with her for 2 weeks. I would think that walking her away from other dogs would be fine, but maybe others can confirm this?

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
- How long before she can come into contact with other dogs? (one vet said as soon as she isn't coughing, the other said to give it a few days once she stops coughing)

I was told a good 5-7 days after they stop coughing, to be sure it's gone.

- Is it true that kennel cough often re-occurs once dogs have had it once?

My experience is that each of my dogs has had it (even the one who was vaccinated against it) once in their lives. Then they seem to do pretty well even with outbreaks.

- Is it only direct contact with other dogs that will transmit the disease? So, could I walk her around our local streets as long as we cross to the other side if we see a dog coming?

I'm not sure, but I would keep her at home, maybe get a clicker and do some trick training or something to keep her mind active. They usually cough more when they have a collar on, and I wouldn't want to risk spreading it to others (like us when we're sick, stay home!!!).

- Do I need to keep her quiet? She seems almost as hyper as usual (after catching up on some much needed sleep with the help of a sedative)

Again, you can do mental work in the house to keep her occupied. She should take it a bit easier till she recovers anyway, like it or not (get some good bones for her and bear with her, it won't take long). I have heard of dogs who got sick with worse things after a start of kennel cough so it's not worth it to stress her out (even if she's driving you crazy!).

Hope she's feeling better soon!

Lana

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My dearly beloved cocker spaniel who has peacefully gone to the bridge was actually allergic to the kennel cough vaccine when it was instilled via the nostrils. She got so sick. Once it was in shot form all was well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts