Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Also classes that have you walking in a circle for an hour suck- that's NOT the way to get beautiful attention heeling
Eeeww! Old Fashioned Circle Jerk classes..... gag! yuck! bleech!

Discussion starter · #26 ·
My thoughts EXACTLY- they still do that at my club. Of course most of those trainers were around to see the T rex's they resemble when they train LOL It really depends who you sign up for what you get.

My club DOES have a clicker class now, though. I am curious to see it. When I took a basic class last year (I dropped out after three weeks because my friend who was taking it with me with her dog killed herself and I just couldn't handle going anymore) and I said I wanted to clicker train my dog in it and they looked at me like I had three heads LOL so we'll see

Yeah, every now and then I get one of those T-Rexes in one of my classes and boy are they surprised to discover we won't spend the hour up each other's butt in a circle!

Hey Courtney and Jenna,

I just want to know - are you guys both in the same room while you are "chatting" on the board with each other? :)

Well, yes, I see your point. I just meant basic ob, etc. Why pay $20-$30 (prob'ly more. I never checked it out in detail.) when you could teach that yourself, for nothing? Sit, stay, down, beer....err, no, we're not quite there yet, but.... lol You sure can't get one on one instruction either unless you hire a private trainer. I don't have the cash for that, do you? lol :p But yes, I agree, getting Kiki used to paying attention around distractions is very important. :)
Being a trainer, I would suggest finding parks & rec. that offer training, sometimes it is cheaper than going to the pet stores. You could always Google dog training in your area to see what options you have.

Sounds like you are doing a GREAT job with her on your own though...

BTW, LOVE the name, I have an old girl (not a golden, but gold in color) named Kiera nickname Kiki also...

If you want fun stuff for her to do, maybe check out freestyle if her hips can take it, it is a great way for her to get into being focused on you and what you want from her...
Keep us posted...

Discussion starter · #31 ·
SO far so good with hips :)

We have our eyes on rally, obedience, and agility with her... obedience is tricky with a deaf handler so the verdict is I'll prob do that with. I wanted to anyway as I love obedience best.

Well, yes, I see your point. I just meant basic ob, etc. Why pay $20-$30 (prob'ly more. I never checked it out in detail.) when you could teach that yourself, for nothing? Sit, stay, down, beer....err, no, we're not quite there yet, but.... lol You sure can't get one on one instruction either unless you hire a private trainer. I don't have the cash for that, do you? lol :p But yes, I agree, getting Kiki used to paying attention around distractions is very important. :)
HAH! We have a dish towel tied to the fridge door just for that reason. My boyfriend is trying to teach Rosco how to "fetch" him a beer. He hasn't quite caught on yet.....It was so funny watching my boyfriend to try and show Rosco what to do. He was on his knees pulling on the dishtowel with his teeth! LOL Next time i'll get pictures.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.