Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm starting to get a little worried about my puppies first couple of weeks here. We live in an apartment complex with a lot of other dogs around. I know that in the first couple of weeks, the puppy won't have much immunity, and I'm worried about walking him around and taking him out where infected dogs may have been. Any ideas?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Just try your best, like take him to a farther spot rather than the most popular one right near the door. Don't stress about it so much that you can't enjoy your puppy.

·
Layla and Bauer's Mommy
151 Posts
We had that problem too. The problem isn't so much other dogs- you can keep puppy away from them, but watch out for the ground where Parvo can live up to 1-2 years. What we would do is try to take him to the more obscure areas of the complex where we didn't think other dogs roamed much. Keep puppy on the pavement until you get to the obscure area, do his business and back on the pavement. (Pavement will not absorb the particles of the disease as much as the dirt/grassy ground will).

It can be risky but make sure the pup is vaccinated on the routine your vet sets. Ask the Vet too about what people do in this situation and how common certain diseases are in your area. Be aware of any signs of disease- you should become familiar with symptoms of major puppy diseases anyway. Hope this helps! :) And like Willow said, don't stress too much- make sure you can still enjoy your new pup!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a walk around, but I'm pretty sure our apartment only has one real courtyard area. The rest is just walkways and some shrubbery on the sides. Can't off the top of my head think of another place to take him. The area immediately outside the complex has some grass, but I've seen dogs out there too before. I'll definitely ask the vet as well.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
I can't say much as my pup got parvo despite being fully vaccinated. We live in a complex with tons of dogs... Nice for playmates now but not for parvo risk! We were cautious about it but have the same issue of one main courtyard area. I'd say don't stress so much that you don't enjoy your puppy... But def avoid dog poop like the plague and know the signs of parvo... The only reason our boy made it through is because we acted so quickly. Ours did not look like normal parvo (vomiting and diarrhea) in the beginning. Instead he was exhausted and spaced out... He refused food and we knew something must be wrong. Educate yourselves and it will be fine!!! Good luck!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I can only speak if you live in the South. But here, you need to look for areas not around hedges, trees, poles, stairs, as this is where most dogs go to pee. Find a place out in the open, in year round direct sunshine areas. Parvo likes warm shady areas, so avoid. Try to make sure the last shot is around 16 wks even if he might have 4 shots instead of the 3. If you live in a high Parvo area, speak with your Vet about what they recommend for your area and what the early symptoms are. Be informed as this is the #1 killer of our puppies down here.

Reactions: Aislinn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What if I used one of those fake grass patches on the balcony until his last set of shots (and a week after)? I'm hoping maybe that won't inhibit housetraining as much?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I TOTALLY understand your concern. I just recently got done potty training my 4 month old puppy and I was really concerned about that same thing because me and my boyfriend live in an apartment complex, and A LOT of people here have dogs. We mainly took him out to a strip of grass along the back side of the apartment where we figured not a lot of dogs have been. There were a couple times though where we did take him out front, where I have seen other people taking there dogs to potty. But he turned out to be okay. We even asked the vet and he didn't seem too concerned about it. I would just keep your puppy up to date on all his vaccinations and look around when your outside and take note of where people are taking their pets to go potty. Don't let him mingle with other dogs, roll around or lay on the grass, especially if its damp. That's basically all you can do besides getting puppy pads, but I feel like that doesn't really help in training them to go outside once there able to, because they will already be trained to go on the pads. Anyway, hope everything works out and good luck! It takes LOTS of patience! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts