Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

The weather in the UK over the last few days has been pretty good for this time of year (not that I expect it to last but hey..). And when we leave little Shankly while we are at work im a little concerend that he might be getting too hot..?

I always make sure he has a drink before he goes in his crate and I always come home for lunch so hes neverin his crate for any period longer than 4/ 4 and a half hours.. Hes tucked away under the stairs and not in direct sunlight after 10am ish if at all and we have to leave a blanket over the top at the moment to make sure he stays calm in there while we are gone. As soon as he come out of his crate he goes straight for a drink has a big drink then goes about his normal business.. Hes dosnt seem destressed in anyway or bothered by the heat in anyway and he likes to lay in the sun where possible and chew his bone..

Has anyone of you lucky ones from warmer climates got any top tips for keeping him cool during his crate time or anyone know of anything you can buy that dispenses water through a crate that he cant sit in or knock over :doh:..

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Something like this might work for you. We have used it the only thing was one of the pups found out how to play with it to get the water running out and made a bit a mess one time. Other then that it worked fine when we used it.
Most of us here in the southern US have AC. How hot is it getting in the house?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754655&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=5095160&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=F1E2D052-4519-DE11-B0EA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Can you only partially cover the crate? Circulation is important. Also consider limiting the bedding. As uncomfortable as it seems to us, warm dogs like laying on a cool hard surface. Maybe a small fan would help too.

My personal rule of thumb is, if I would be uncomfortable sitting in the room due to the warmth, I'm sure my dogs wouldn't like it either. I have a ceiling fan that helps on most days and air conditioning on the really bad days (like the past few in California - it's been 100 degrees here for the past couple of days - in April no less!).

It wasn't long in the scheme of things before my dogs had the run of the house. That means unlimited water and lost of cool stone floors to lay on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something like this might work for you. We have used it the only thing was one of the pups found out how to play with it to get the water running out and made a bit a mess one time. Other then that it worked fine when we used it.
Most of us here in the southern US have AC. How hot is it getting in the house?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754655&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=5095160&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=F1E2D052-4519-DE11-B0EA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
Thanks for that havent seen them over here.. Its not getting overly hot yet, its warm but comfotable for us just not too sure on the puppy. He dosnt seem bothered by the warmth as yet I just dont want him to dehydrate...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you only partially cover the crate? Circulation is important. Also consider limiting the bedding. As uncomfortable as it seems to us, warm dogs like laying on a cool hard surface. Maybe a small fan would help too.

My personal rule of thumb is, if I would be uncomfortable sitting in the room due to the warmth, I'm sure my dogs wouldn't like it either. I have a ceiling fan that helps on most days and air conditioning on the really bad days (like the past few in California - it's been 100 degrees here for the past couple of days - in April no less!).

It wasn't long in the scheme of things before my dogs had the run of the house. That means unlimited water and lost of cool stone floors to lay on.
I havent tried removing the blanket I might try it when Im home and see how he reacts.. Hes also go and 6ft by 6ft area sealed off which we leave him in over night but hes only 5 months and when hes not tired he tends to whine and kick up a fuss when hes left in it but when hes in the crate hes fine..

Ive been looking around the pet shops here and they only seem to have small rabbit sized bottles for cages not like the ones "ggd" showed us earlier on which is quiet annoying, might have to contact pet smart to see if they will ship to the UK...

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
What is the base of your crate? IF you have a metal tray, placing the crate on a tile floor will be much cooler compared to carpet. Also keep the room cool by closing the blinds and making the room darker...it really does help.

I've seen these, and thought about them for Noah as he is a hot box and prefers the cold as well...never purchased one. But I'd only use it when I was around.
http://www.companionpetshop.com/ShoppingCart/Templates/AdvProd.asp?P=2639&G=8B87D751-F76F-441B-B242-A98F5935C977&RID=497

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the base of your crate? IF you have a metal tray, placing the crate on a tile floor will be much cooler compared to carpet. Also keep the room cool by closing the blinds and making the room darker...it really does help.

I've seen these, and thought about them for Noah as he is a hot box and prefers the cold as well...never purchased one. But I'd only use it when I was around.
http://www.companionpetshop.com/ShoppingCart/Templates/AdvProd.asp?P=2639&G=8B87D751-F76F-441B-B242-A98F5935C977&RID=497
His crate is on laminate flooring and its pretty cool, I can and do normally close tha patio door curtainsn to help with the heat.. And that water bed looks so good, knowing little razor mouth though he would chew through and id come home to him swimming.... :D

Thanks for allthe suggestions tho guys some good ideas there and combined with one of these http://www.fun4petsuk.com/product_info.php?products_id=313 little Shanks should be fine

·
Banned
507 Posts
My parents in Germany don't have AC. On warm days they leave the door open to their apartment and the door open to the basement and they have a big waterbowl and a dogbed in the basement. Rico spents alot of time down in the basement for confort. The house is theirs so he has the run for the house.
All the best,

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
When I first had Izzie I tried to crate train her, it didn't last and she and Obi have the run of the house. I got a coop cup, which although isn't that big, would hold probably a pint of water. It clips onto the sides of the crate and can't be knocked over.

Have you tried putting his crate in the larger area and leaving him there with the crate door open so he can go in or out? Just a thought.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I first had Izzie I tried to crate train her, it didn't last and she and Obi have the run of the house. I got a coop cup, which although isn't that big, would hold probably a pint of water. It clips onto the sides of the crate and can't be knocked over.

Have you tried putting his crate in the larger area and leaving him there with the crate door open so he can go in or out? Just a thought.
There is a pets at home where we live so if he does get hot and the water is not enough then thats deffinatly and idea..

In respect to moving his crate, he has enough room in his little area if we leave the crate open the only problem is he dosnt like being left in it he continuously whines and cries at the moment I cant get him to settle but its somethingwe are working on at the moment..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts