Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been in contact with a few breeders who were recommended on this forum. Most have year long waiting lists. A couple of them told me to keep in touch so they know we are still interested. What would be the appropriate way to keep in touch without overburdening the breeders?

·
Registered
Finn
686 Posts
If they have facebook, maybe following their facebook pages and commenting on their posts about their dogs, shows, etc?

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
588 Posts
When I was looking for a breeder (spring/summer 2020) I had some say to check back in the fall. Around September I followed up with them and asked if they had any update on a possible breeding. I let them know that I was still interested, and would love to know more.
If you live near the breeders you’re interested in, you might check if there are any shows on the weekends nearby. I reached out to a few breeders that had said to keep checking back when I saw that there was a big show coming up, and 3 of them offered to meet up with me. The show ended up not allowing spectators due to COVID so I never got to go, but they’re great ways to network and show the breeder that you’re serious. You may even find that they know of someone who might have a litter earlier than them!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I received the same response from some. I took it to mean send a follow-up email every 3-4 weeks. This oftentimes helps breeders separate the one-off person who emails once and falls of the face of the planet, and those who really are dedicated to getting a puppy from that breeder.

The follow-up emails can range from anything to "hey, just checking in to hearing what your breeding plans are" and adding something extra about why you want a particular puppy from that breeder. Keeping it short and sweet is more effective in getting a response. It just helps to keep your name top of mind, and sometimes you get lucky, and there's a breeding coming up!

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
I agree with @FinnTheFloof : follow their social! You’ll be much more in the know than if you sit around waiting for emails or checking a website that never gets updated. If you aren’t comfortable sending them a friend request (if they don’t post on a ”fan” page), you can still follow their personal page to see what they post publicly. A lot of brags, successful matings, litter announcements, etc. will be on their personal pages. One thing I’ve learned through being in the Dog World is that breeders LOVE to brag. They get really excited about wins, nice litters, new titles, etc. and they post about it.

AND most breeders post about older puppies and adults that become available on their social. So follow them! Set notifications so you know when they post! I know that sounds a little creepy, but most of the time if an older puppy becomes available, they find a home for that dog within 2-3 hours.

However, if you email and the breeder says to check back in three months, don’t email every 3-4 weeks. That’s not a good look. Follow their instructions on formal contacts.

Reactions: aesthetic

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I agree with the advice you've been given so far. If it were me, I'd probably start the email with something like "As you requested..." It helps them to remember that you've reached out before and you are trying to follow their request that you stay in touch about breeding plans. As already stated, keep it short and sweet and be respectful of their time. Something along the lines of: "Hi [breeder]! Congrats on your recent win with Fido! How exciting! As requested I'm just checking in to let you know I'm still interested in knowing about any upcoming breeding plans. Hope to hear good news soon!"

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
I literally just got on Facebook and saw a breeder I know posted a puppy on her personal page (and with public privacy) that suddenly became available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I literally just got on Facebook and saw a breeder I know posted a puppy on her personal page (and with public privacy) that suddenly became available.
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the fine advice you posted.

Maegan, did you mean I should check out that facebook page?

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the fine advice you posted.

Maegan, did you mean I should check out that facebook page?
Not specifically, I just wanted to hammer home the point that it's super important to follow your breeder's social. It's against forum rules to advertise puppies in that way. LOL

Reactions: nolefan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not specifically, I just wanted to hammer home the point that it's super important to follow your breeder's social. It's against forum rules to advertise puppies in that way. LOL
Two of the breeders that we are most interested in do not have FB pages. We will continue to email them at decent intervals. Thanks for your advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts