Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on how to keep dogs cool, indoors and out, during the summer months. Last summer Colt was still a puppy and didn't have his full coat, but now he's got a beautiful (and thick) one and is hot even now, when it's only 70 degrees. We have fans in the house & I just ordered a raised bed-- are there particular fans you like for everyday use? Recipes for pupsicles? Any other suggestions?

·
Kate
23,501 Posts
Well.... this is what we did most of this afternoon. The dogs remember - as you can see my "baby" sprawled out and letting the water fill in around him. :) it's 90 degrees today, so must need for a pool out there so the dogs can duck in and wallow from time to time while I'm outside mowing or doing something else. :)

Vertebrate Dog breed Water Blue Carnivore

House we keep at 68 degrees so it stays cool and comfortable pretty much.

That's all.

Attachments

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
Casey, neutered male, born 12/24/2017, Darby, female, born July, 2021
775 Posts
Our pups love their cool pads - year round. We have 4 around the house and they’ll seek them out to lay on. We’ve purchased them from PetSmart, Chewy, and Amazon. Outside, they splash and swim in the pool at least once or more a day when it’s beastly hot in GA.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well.... this is what we did most of this afternoon. The dogs remember - as you can see my "baby" sprawled out and letting the water fill in around him. :) it's 90 degrees today, so must need for a pool out there so the dogs can duck in and wallow from time to time while I'm outside mowing or doing something else. :)

View attachment 892316

House we keep at 68 degrees so it stays cool and comfortable pretty much.

That's all.
How do you keep them from ripping up the bottom? We tried a plastic kiddie pool and Colt shredded it to pieces lol. Cute pups!

·
Kate
23,501 Posts
How do you keep them from ripping up the bottom? We tried a plastic kiddie pool and Colt shredded it to pieces lol. Cute pups!
I tell them "no dig".

Mine jump in to wallow or drink water.

The pool does get a hole at some point - but it's cheap enough to replace. <= I'm actually planning to run out to pick up 3-4 more pools and just stick the boxes in the garage so I can replace as needed through the summer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thoughts on booties while playing in the water to preserve the bottom? Hmmm

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
www.cleanrun.com has a lot of products designed to keep performance dogs cool, including cooling coats.

As someone else mentioned, each of my dogs have a cool bed in our bedrooms.

Reactions: xRoan

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live in Southern California, so I'm following this thread for more ideas, but what we do is: stay inside (in the A/C) during the middle of the day, play in the pool a lot, especially to cool down after a walk if it's hot, and my favorite summer treats include ice cubes, frozen carrots, frozen bananas, and this pupsicle recipe from WeRateDogs.
Font Carnivore Line Terrestrial animal Snout

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I live in Southern California, so I'm following this thread for more ideas, but what we do is: stay inside (in the A/C) during the middle of the day, play in the pool a lot, especially to cool down after a walk if it's hot, and my favorite summer treats include ice cubes, frozen carrots, frozen bananas, and this pupsicle recipe from WeRateDogs. View attachment 892318
I saved that one! They sound good enough to eat.

Honey was on a suppliment and here's the recipe from MYOS.

What you will need:
Ice cube tray or dog treat mold
¾ cup blueberries
¾ cup greek yogurt low fat preferably
½ banana, ripe
2 scoops of MYOS Canine Muscle Formula

Instructions:
Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend until all of the ingredients are mixed together.
Pour into molds or ice cube tray. Freeze until solid, for about 5 hours.
Remove treat from tray. Since this can get messy, I suggest either putting it in your pup’s bowl or feeding outside.
For every 2 treats that you give your dog, we recommend reducing MYOS at meal time by 1/2 scoop.

Not only will this cool your pup down, but they are getting a nutritious snack. Blueberries are great for dogs and yogurt helps support good digestion. Wth the addition o MYOS, your pup will be getting a super treat that tastes great and will have them feeling great.

Reactions: xRoan
1 - 14 of 14 Posts