Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy.... 9 month old Joy just discovered that she CAN run from me and that she actually does NOT have to give me any object I ask her to give me. Yuck. :) Took me 20 minutes of waiting at the dog park yesterday for her to stop playing "Keep Away" and come to me. Tonight she picked up my son's toy, looked RIGHT at me, stuck her tail in the air, and RAN! I calmly gated the kitchen and took it from her - no snarling or tenseness, I just think she thinks it's fun.

What other techniques do you recommend? Next time we go to the park, she'll be on a drag line, that's for sure! It was REALLY hard to stay calm and just ignore her until she came around - especially since it was 9 degrees, and my sons were FROZEN! I sent them to wait in the car while I waited for our Joy.... Like I said, after 20 minutes, she just walked over and sat down beside me, dropped the ball, and we went home....

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Dragging a leash or line is the best way. Once you let her get away with it you may have future problems on your hands. You did the exact right thing in the dog park, but from now on, have a light line on her. Call her once, and then enforce her response. Make sure you have lots of treats when she gets to you. Good job, keep up the good work, especially in 9 degree weather!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Sounds like it is time to start practicing recall with that long lead. Make sure you have lots and lots of tiny training treats. Remember not to use the COME command until you are sure Joy is going to come. Until then use HERE or JOY. Many dogs will come running if they see you are moving in the opposite direction. Also don't give the treat until Joy is sitting and you can touch her collar. Lots of dogs learn that all they need to do is come close enough to grab the treat and run again. :doh: Good luck to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts