Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a post on craigslist for a seven year old Golden in need of a new home for one hundred dollars. I emailed and asked about it. Katie came home with me. (Though we met them at another town.) Katie is seven next month. If I didn't have her papers (CKC) I would swear she was much older. She has been an outside dog here in Louisiana for seven years. She ran free, but the sherriff's department has been called several times on them because she was getting into other's trash cans and eating the cat food put out by others for their cats. So they put her on a chain. Thank the good Lord they decided to find her a home where she wouldn't have to be chained. After talking, they let me have her for free.

She hasn't been spayed and has had three litters. They used to have another dog but lost it to a snakebite. They said she lost weight because she hasn't eaten well since she was chained and their mallard ducks were eating her food. Tonight she shared her food with one of my cats, but Kashia, my cat, didn't eat much. Definately not food aggressive. She enjoys fetching and loves kids. She's a very gentle dog and is begging for attention.

I'm keeping her and Dakota seperate for a while. I don't think in her condition she's ready for Dakota's energy level. That will make things a little tricky for a while, but we'll work it out. Luckily I have two seperately fenced yards out front, so I can have both out at the same time, but not together.

So far she hasn't had any accidents in the house. I've been taking her out about every hour. It took a bit to convince her to come in the house, but she decided she likes in the house now much better than outside. She learned that quick! *S* Any hints from people on her would be greatly appreciated.
I've attached some pictures of her.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Bless you for saving sweet Katie. She's going to be the best dog--so very grateful. Be patient & fatten her up. You're Katie's angel.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,720 Posts
Poor baby. You have a very special place waiting for you in heaven.

Reactions: Aislinn

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Thanks so much for rescuing this sweet girl and giving her a forever home. I'll bet that in time she will be great friends with Dakota. Please post pictures of her from time to time so that we can see that girl bloom! Rescues are the very best friends.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, everyone. Her first night went well. Being as she's never been inside and no housebreaking has ever been attempted, I wasn't too sure how it would go. She won't go in a crate and I don't want to stress her by forcing the issue. I let her sleep loose in my room. Dakota's crate is there, so it also gives Dakota a chance to get used to her without real interaction. Dakota was an angel, not a sound, though I know she has to be dying to get out and play with her. Katie woke me several times wanting to be petted, but would lay back down next to the bed if I pulled my hand back under the covers. I bought her a dog bed, but she won't use it. I don't think she's ever had anything soft to sleep on and she's not sure about it. I got up this morning and no accidents! Yay! My carpet is only a year old, (house is only a year old) so would like to keep the carpets nice. *G* A Papillon having an accident is so small compared to a large Golden! But I have the stuff to clean the carpet should she have an accident.

And today, rain, thunderstorms possible. Really? I'm trying to housebreak a dog, Mother Nature! You could help out and cooperate a little here.

She's lying on the floor at my feet, opposite side of where a dogbed is for her comfort. I leave for school in an hour. My teenage daughter will be up then and take her out before she leaves for school. Then my son who is in college will take over, then my daughter when she gets home. She's a senior and on a three quarter day. Today's Tuesday, so faculty meeting after school day, but I think with Zander and Amara, and my daughter-in-law in the back of the property, she will have ample opportunities to go out and practice her new housebreaking skills.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Aislinn

AISLINN

God Bless you for taking Katie home to love! I know she will repay you in gratitude. It may take her a little while to learn how it is to be a dog that is pampered and lives INSIDE, but she will. Can you imagine how grateful Katie must be!!

She is just beautiful!! You can see her ribs. I'm sure when you can you will get her to the vet to be vaccinated & checked out and tested for Heartworm, too.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AISLINN

God Bless you for taking Katie home to love! I know she will repay you in gratitude. It may take her a little while to learn how it is to be a dog that is pampered and lives INSIDE, but she will. Can you imagine how grateful Katie must be!!

She is just beautiful!! You can see her ribs. I'm sure when you can you will get her to the vet to be vaccinated & checked out and tested for Heartworm, too.
Of course she is going to the vet. I've already wormed her, but need to find out if there are any underlying issues for her. I also want to make sure what specific worms she has. Dakota will be wormed again as well as a precautionary. She'll need a rabies, and I'll give her her shots either tonight or tomorrow when I feel she is settling in and no longer stressed.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Thank you for saving sweet Katie! She looks like she's had a very hard life. Hopefully with some good meals she will fill out nicely. It's most likely that she's HW+ since the previous owners probably didn't give her HW preventative. Good luck and again, thank you for saving Katie from her horrible previous life.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
You are a truly good person. What luck that you found Katie - she deserves to live the rest of her life in a comfortable and caring home. I've no doubt those little ribs will disappear soon, and she'll fit in perfectly. It sounds like she's very sweet.

How goes the housetraining?

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
She's beautiful and only going to get more beautiful as she fills out. Bless you for saving her.

I love that she's so close to you. Such a simple need for a dog...someonly to love and to touch. I'm glad her lonely past is over!

·
Registered
576 Posts
She has such a sweet face which is a little white, but maybe because of her living conditions before. I am glad she is in a better home with love.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
Katie looks so sweet! That's terrific you rescued her. I think Katie is going to be so appreciative of her wonderful new life with you and your family!

Reactions: Karen519

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Aislinn

Aislinn

Thanks for the update on Katie-keep them coming!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's been over 24 hours and so far no accidents in the house. We were under a tornado warning today and of course the huge thunderclaps, but she had no reaction to them. She's probably glad she wasn't out in it. I'm going to be trying to get an appointment for her tomorrow, today with the tornado, a pyschatrist in to observe one of my kids (I'm a Special Ed teacher) and then a faculty meeting, I never had time to get to make a phone call. Hopefully I'll get her in Thursday or Friday after school. As I write this she is laying at my feet. There's a soft bed on the carpet for her, but the cats are lying on it, she is on the opposite side. I don't think she knows what a bed is for. I coax her on it, but then she'll get up and lay down next to it. It will take time for her to figure it all out.

I'll let you all know what the vet says.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
Thank you. Thank you for rescuing this gorgeous sweetie pie from a life that must have been pure hell.

You will be rewarded a thousand fold for your efforts. Please post follow up pics of her in a few months time.

God Bless Kate.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Katie Update:

I was able to get Katie into the vet today after school today. She has a minor ear infection, easy to fix. She is filled with whipworms and hookworms, 14 ccs of panacur for three days. She has severe heartworm. She's fifty-nine pounds.

We are treating the ear infection and worming her. She is going on heartguard for a month. My vet wants her to gain at least ten pounds and make sure the worms are gone before we start heartworm treatment. She isn't coughing and there are no murmers. My vet feels she will be able to handle the treatment. I dread the cost, but what else is there to do? I always did like bologna sandwiches and the cafeteria food at school is not only fattening, but expensive. *G*

We have to watch her very carefully when she gets her heartguard tomorrow morning. If she gets shakey or acts 'off' at all, she is to be rushed to the vet. My son who is in college and my daughter-in-law will be here to watch over her. Please say some prayers or cross your fingers all goes well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts