Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like it's been a very long time since I've last given an actual Kaizer update (but maybe I just don't remember lol). Some of these pics might be reposts, I can't remember what I've posted where anymore either.

He'll be five in June and that's just crazy to think about. I ALWAYS get comments asking if he's still a puppy and I used to think it was maybe because he seems out of control to them. I started asking people why they think he's so young and pretty much everyone says that they've never seen an older dog who does everything with so much enthusiasm. He has a gigantic personality, I just love him to death.

This year is also the healthiest he's been in a long time. We call him "big, fat, fluffy Kaizer" because he finally gained all the weight he needed to (plus some lol) and his coat has come in. It is currently the longest/thickest it's ever been and it's growing back everywhere he was missing fur. Still don't know what the problem was or what fixed it, but I'll be glad to not know if that means it won't ever happen again.

(L-R) Holly, Kaizer, Rosie. People always get these three confused for some reason.

(L-R) Ruby-do, Kaizer, Athena, Samone. No one gets these four confused

Kaizer and Samone swimming today. They race each other for their respective toys.

Kaizer loves fleece-y tugs and Samone has the perfect tuggy fleece leash. She usually tugs back and they have a good time.

A couple minutes after the tug picture. The height difference is so pronounced in this pic!

Me and my best boy at a local pet store. I look like i'm choking him but I'm not! I put this (paws up) on cue and I was giving him a squeeze.

This was today after our very long day! His favorite bed in his favorite napping position. Also proof that I do occasionally groom him.

I know this is a repost, but I love this picture. It was very cold that day, but he had a good time.

A comparison picture - first picture is Kaizer at 10 weeks old. Second is Kaizer at 4.5 years old (a couple weeks ago). He didn't change much!

·
Karen
985 Posts
So great to see Kaizer, he looks wonderful, I remember so very well his puppy stories... I'm glad that he is feeling better

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Kaizer pictures!

He swam alone on Wednesday because my trainer didn't feel well so she went home and took her dogs with her. He swims alone just fine, but likes swimming with the border collie specifically because they race each other for their respective toys lol. Here he is taking a break to play with his toy after 20 minutes of swimming :).

Rosie, Holly and Kaizer (L-R). Next weekend, I'm petsitting Rosie, Holly, another golden named Gracie, and two doodle-y things while their respective owners are away. Kaizer gets to come along since these dogs are my first clients (ever) who don't have dog issues and Kaizer gets along with (since Kaizer can have dog issues too). 4 goldens and 2 golden mixes = a full house, but a lot of fun! I love my other clients a lot and I'm grateful their owners trust me to care for their dogs, but I'm a little selfishly excited to have 6 dogs that I don't have to manage or crate and rotate LOL.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kaizer at the ACT event my training place held yesterday. I was a little late due to a prior commitment, so we only ran 3 times (ACT1 round 2, and ACT2 rounds 1 + 2).

His first run was fantastic and we would have qualified if I didn't run into the very last jump and knock the pole (he cleared the jump, I did not). He stayed with me through the whole course and did everything almost perfectly (some small things I'm not worried about right now) and I just got excited and hit my toe against the corner of the wing jump.

ACT2 went terribly, as expected. I didn't think we were ready, but threw him in anyway. He just wouldn't stay with me, wouldn't look at me. He did do some stuff! I'm just not thrilled with it since he wasn't with me - he'd take a jump or two, then run off in whatever direction we were facing. I'd call him, he'd come and offer me some nice focused heeling, take whatever I directed him to (jump, table, tunnel, a-frame), and then run off again. Rinse and repeat.

I think the running away, not looking at me, etc. was avoidance behavior, he just doesn't want to play with me. My trainer thinks he's stressed, but honestly he was displaying none of his usual stress behaviors. Usually when he's stressed, he wants to leave wherever we are or he'll go to a "safe place". Yesterday, he was able to lay down under the table for an extended period of time (relaxed) while I helped my trainer run the event Kaizer 2 years ago would never have been able to do that, especially with barking dogs surrounding him.

I'm (perhaps a little selfishly) not ready to give up on agility with him just yet - I do think he usually enjoys it. I wonder if he's just tired and slowing down a little cause he's a little older. He's my only dog and I do a lot, so he gets carted with me everywhere, everyday. Can dogs get burned out? lol

Some pictures taken by a friend!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
There's just something special about the way his mouth turns up in a smile. I love Kaiser pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts