Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my baby bodie is getting netured dec.30th, he is 15 months old, please some tell me im doing the right thing, and at the right age. i dont know why im so worried about him i dont want anything to happen to him.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I felt the same way; but we had a contract with our breeder so we went ahead just shy of one year old. Nugget went home the same day a bit groggy but was his playful self the next morning. He passed his follow up exam with flying colors - and he hasn't tried to hump my legs since!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I waited a bit longer, around 21 months for Brooks. He was a little foggy when I picked him up (released urine on the vet's lobby floor as we were leaving) but after that was fine. We got an Elizabethan collar for him and he wore it a few hours that first evening but looked so forlorn I took it off. He never bothered his stitches and healed beautifully.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We neutered our first Golden (the rescue did the other two before we adopted them) and it was just fine. He was a little sleepy that day but did so well afterward he didn't need to wear his cone at all. We kept it on hand just in case he started licking down there. He'll be fine--you've got a good vet who does these things all of the time. It's normal to worry though--I do whenever my dogs have a surgical procedure or a sedated dental cleaning.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Did you all see behavior changes for the better? Just curious.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Beau was always a kind soul--even before he was neutered, so no changes at all. Barkley was neutered well before we adopted him so we didn't know if he changed or not. He was also a kind soul. Toby was neutered as well before adoption, but we adopted him weeks after the procedure--if it changed him I'd be surprised. I doubt seriously that it calmed him down. :no:

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Changes, but not necessarily for the better. On advice from our vet, we waited to neuter Joker and he was almost 10 when the procedure was done. We did it then because his prostate began to enlarge and neutering was recommended. In a matter of months he went from being an energetic ruler of the backyard to being a couch potato, as our vet had feared.

Charlie, on the other hand, was neutered before he was a year old and I'd swear he never noticed. He continued to hump (spayed) Sabrina and other dogs from to time and if his dogly "status" changed, he ignored that fact.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bodie did fine

ty all for the reasurence, bodie did fine , but now how do u keep a golden calm lol for 14 days.its back to his playfull self. but when we took him in they did notice he had 2 ears infections, they gave us meds to help with that, he goes back in 2 weeks to make sure evthing ok,why do goldens get ears infections?

·
149 Posts
Glad everything went well with the neuter. I've actually cried thinking about Lola getting it done...

My dogs have always seemed to be plagued with ear infections. Since golden's have big floppy ears, they tend to get gunky easily. Just keep them clean and dry after the round of meds. I don't know if it really helps or not but I was told by a groomer to trim the ear hair that covers the opening to the canal to allow them to "air out."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts