Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Just wondering...

1K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  thegoldenjoyride 
#1 ·
Do you let your golden/animals up on your furniture?

What was your reason behind it?

I am curious as Minnie is up on our furniture all the time. She is our chi/terrier mix (about 8 pounds) so she doesn't take up much room. Our cats are all over the place and now Cooper tries to get up on the couches as well. I never thought of this before we got him but once he is fully grown, he will need furniture of his own!!! I think he is going to be a big boy:uhoh: I can't tell him no when all the other animals are on the couches...

#18 ·
I let mine up ....I have a leather couch and the fur doesnt stick.....and very easy to clean

Mary...this picture is cracking me up!!!!

My dogs are allowed on the furniture :eek:. When I finally bought new furniture last year I bought leather on purpose because of the people on this forum and CG forum that highly recommended it for kids and dogs. Now I don't have to worry about muddy paws or fur...everything wipes right off. It's GREAT!!!

#14 ·
We let ours up. And yes the hair does stick...I've thought about a leather couch....how do they do with the nails?

mary jean
There are different grades of leather. When we bought ours we told the salesman that we needed a couch for three big dogs and children. I believe our set is middle of the line. We also bought a warranty. Good thing, because our first set, it was a light color, the color was coming off. There was a defect in the dying process. After three years, they let us pick out a new couch and love seat. This time we picked out a darker color, because with the lighter color, we were also getting a lot of ball point pen marks on it.

After four years with this one, I have one little scratch on it from when my cat was a kitten, she was falling off it and tried to grab on, which is pretty good considering all wear and tear it gets.

Another plus is my cats never use it as their scratching posts!

#8 ·
Tucker is always up on the couch sitting with me and watching TV.

We only have the one animal (well besides Maggie, who's a rabbit and stays in her cage most of the time) so I sit on the one side, Tucker usually sits with his front half his body on my lap or cuddled in pretty closely, then someone else usually sits on the other side.

Even if someone else isn't there, he still sits on me or right beside me LOL.

He's a 71lb lap dog.

#12 ·
Our dog doesn't get on the furniture. We had decided before we got her home that we wouldn't allow certain behaviour (had to discuss to be consistent), things like eating human food, begging at table, kissing our faces, and getting on furniture... She never even tried to so we never even had to say no. She is happy sitting at our feet, playing with us on the carpet, sleeping on the floor...

#13 ·
I let my babies on all the furniture. I think it would be mean to let the cats lay on the back of the couch and not let the dogs up on the furniture. I can replace the furniture alot easier than I could replace my love for the babies. Next furniture I get though will be the leather. We have the micro suede right now it is good because stains come off really easy with a moist towel. It is holding up good too now 3 years old. I think it is more worn out from my husband falling asleep on the couch. I had a stanley steamer guy tell me the hardest thing to get cleaned off the couch is sweat. It is the worst he said.

#16 ·
Both Samson and Cosmo will get on the couches when my wife isn't home. But not when she is..... :D

I don't mind it, but my wife isn't thrilled with the idea.

Samson will also get in our bed at times, but I think he gets too warm and doesn't stay long. So far, Cosmo hasn't tried to get in our bed...

#17 ·
Hubby said "no way" to dogs on the furniture when I moved in. Jester doesn't even know how to jump up on the couch or the bed. Unfortunately, because of this...I still have to hoist his back end up onto the picnic table I use outside for grooming him and he will not jump in or out of the back of my SUV...it's embarrassing...I still have to help him and he's 65 lbs. now! :doh:

#19 ·
Nah! Not us...

o'kay guilty!

Actually, in the beginning hubby and I both agreed... no dogs on the furniture. Which I think was a good rule, as it would have been too hard on her joints jumping up and down all the time. We also carried her up and down stairs for as long as we could... I think I lasted to 35 lbs. Then after that I just couldn't stand for her to be kept seperate from us... so I begged and pleaded with hubby, and he finally caved ;)

Now Geddy enjoys the easy life... of cushion comfort and human pamperedness!!

#20 ·
Got to love a leather sofa!!

All of my dogs and cats are allowed on the sofa. It has gotten a bit difficult for Maddy at 13 and a bad hip to get up, but simetimes I help her with a boost.

I almost feel bad for my husband. I sit on the middle cushion, Leo is always on my left, Cheena and Maddy on my right and Solomon the cat lays behind my head. My husbad goes to the chair accross the room. He states that it is just not worth the effort to move everbody.

#22 ·
My favorite part of the evening is when I have a dog laying on my lap watching tv!

My first golden, Max, was allowed on the furniture until we got new. Then he wasn't but would always sneek up on it at night to sleep. Now that he is gone I greatly regret that special together time that I missed out on. Anyhow the lesson I learned was things are just things that can be cleaned, replaced, etc...but that special time with a special friend is irreplaceable! We have microsuede which is durable and keep a blanket down so that when we have guests they don't have to sit in dog hair.

#23 · (Edited)
absolutely. I have 6 cats and 3 dogs and as many that can fit on there will get up. If one is in my seat i say "move it" and they scatter, but I love snuggling with my animals on the couch. I also have leather, and it is great as far as cleanliness and nails. The set I have was given to me 5 years ago when I bought my house, and my dad had it for 10 years prior to that, so its 15 years old, still looks great, and I don't think I will ever get rid of it. I love leather. Definitely worth the cost.

Oops, sorry the first pic is so big, I resized it but can't figure out how to change it on here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.