Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

541 - 547 of 547 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,130 Posts
Wishing you, the pups and family a very Merry Christmas, I hope it's full of fun and golden surprises x

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #544 (Edited)
Thanks!:D Wishing you a very bright and merry Christmas with lots of fun surprises and an abundance of good old belly laughs.

Christmas is such a funny time for the pups. They watch with wide eyes as we twist, contort and do funny things with their beloved paper. (Thanks Lexi for not touching the presents… except for one little nibble, hopefully they won't notice!) We also spend some extra time in the kitchen with lots of extra treats that inevitably come their way. Christmas portraits are lots of fun too. Just when you think today would be a good time both Miss Lexi and Master Huds come in totally covered from fluffy ears to bushy tail covered in dried plumbago flowers, as I brush out every sticky little calyx I notice that Lexi's muzzle has a distinct dusting of dirt. Oh no not today Meki! But the worst part about Christmas is the time spent watching and waiting in the window willing us to come home from Christmas parties. But my goodness oh how sweet they look cuddled up together as they look out of that window. Our family has been kind enough to opt for an outdoor lunch at a restaurant in the hills on Christmas Day to cater for our furry members of the family. At one point there was a forecast of rain which would have been quite disastrous but now it looks as though it will be a super steamy hot day which brings its own challenges.

Summer is rough for my golden pair. Each year there seems to be more record breaking heat waves. The searingly hot days mean that we have to go to the beach more often in the morning. They are free to run and play in the calm sea with crystal clear water and meet other pups and lovely people with the same intentions of wearing their pups out. The gentle dawn sunlight is beautiful as it welcomes a new day. It also means that we can also go in the water with them so they get to practice swimming a bit more. They are super cute as they glide out together… until Lexi cuts Hudson off as they come to shore and gives him a big splashy kiss. Thanks Sis! No wonder he is getting a sugar face at the age of 5! The morning visits mean that we cannot help but to indulge in pancakes with strawberries and cream, waffles and banana bread that drips in syrup with iced coffees with vanilla icecream. It is lovely to sit on balconies enjoying the views while sitting there in a dress in the early morning. The frequent beach visits also mean that they get to go to the doggie spa more often so their coats are super soft and white. Ah summer how I have missed you so!

Hudson also enjoys it when we get out the hose and the baby pool on the deck. He loves to catch the sprays of water that seem to come on out of nowhere with fierce determination. Lexi is bewildered and cannot understand what the fuss is about and why he would want to be around such a loud and strong stream of water. It is funny how they reverse roles sometimes. This time Huds is the brave one and Lexi steps back with wide eyes.

It was amazing to watch Lex at the latest Golden fun day. This time last year she sat on the side lines or between our legs and watched the gaggle of goldens run and play. This year she was one of the “big girls” and joined in ever so politely. I even got a double snuggle from 2 retrievers who claimed me as their own. Huds and Lex didn't know what quite to think! “But that is MY human!” One of them was an 11 year old girl named Peaches who's gentle nature reminded me so much of our lovely Tia. It was so lovely to see so many golden oldies that day who were a bit unsteady on their feet but their eyes sparkled and their smiles were as wide as ever.

As usual my thoughts have been turning to Barnaby, Joker and our other millenium babies. Soon it will be Tia's 3rd year anniversary, even though it only feels like 3 months. I still remember the tingles and excitement of getting my new pup way back in the year 2000, for me it was the week before Christmas. How young and naive were we when we first met them?!! LOL! Digital cameras had only just come out. Somehow I knew how special and life changing this pup would be. It did not take long for Tia to teach us to enjoy life and chill out a bit more. I had read all of the “training” books. How she should not “dominate” us and that she should be kept off the couch and the bed so she would always “know her place.” Today I laugh out loud at this old age thinking. The result was us missing out on a whole lot of bonding moments and special times. Of course Tia would not let that happen for very long and she set us straight by jumping up on the bed at 2am when we did not have the strength to get her off and she proceeded to melt our hearts. These days Lexi's latest trick is sitting on my chest when I am on the lap top. (Oh boy the behaviour police would have a field day with this dominant act.) The other day Hubby described how Lexi Mex was sweetly curled up and sharing his pillow snoring her head off as he awoke that morning to a friend. The look of horror on the lady's face was priceless. “But she has fur.” she said. We glowed back at her and said, “Yes and it is still the best feeling ever.” The legacy Tia has left behind is still very much with us. I often feel oh so proud of the unconditional love our millenium kids taught us. It reminds me that even though they are out of sight that the love they gave us still endures. As I look at my photos of my beautiful girl, Tia Lia Monkey Mia with her soft flowing fur and sparkling eyes sitting proudly on a chair at the Christmas table I feel so lucky to have known her and have her as a part of me even now. As their mission in this life comes to a close I bet that they are super proud of the work that they have accomplished as they should be we are so much better for having known their unconditional love.

This Is Why Dogs Never Die.

“Remember I'm with you every step of the way. You are here in my heart each and every day.”

“Though we cry tears of sadness for the loss of our loved ones - so the Angels weep tears of joy for the return of theirs.”

and on a lighter note
http://www.buzzfeed.com/michelleregna/go-home-puppies-youre-drunk?utm_term=.kvln3ykexj&sub=3514748_5167214#.dyobqxvwlB

Wishing you all much merriment and good cheer with big golden bear hugs and a few very special sentimental moments!
MERRY Christmas!!:D
:--heart::bigangel::banana::311hi-thu

Our photo link: Hudson & Lexi

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Merry Christmas, friend!

Thank you for the lovely descriptions of life with your fur kids. I always enjoy reading and can imagine what would be like to bring our packs together for a swim and romp. Our two whirly girls would teach us all sorts of new physics...laws of motion and kinetics, for sure.

I hope your day has been full of love, joy, good food and celebrations, not to mention Golden Appreciation!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,528 Posts
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year our dear friends!

541 - 547 of 547 Posts