Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through one of the threads about spaying, and someone mentioned that the dog would be lazy for a few days

Not Trixie!

Her surgery was done Friday morning. When I picked her up Friday afternoon, she came out acting like always- energetic and active. I did notice later Friday evening that she was a bit sluggish, and a couple of times, she went to stretch but stopped short. That's when I decided it was time for some pain medicine.

Saturday? Normal Trixie all day

Vet's instructions were: Keep her calm. Do the best you can. No playing, no running free in the fenced yard, no walks outside the yard. For 10-14 days! Two weks with no playing?!?!?! That's torment and cruelty! And Trixie won't like it, either!!!!

This vet came HIGHLY recommended, and this is the first time he's done any surgery for my dogs. I've always been impressed by his knowledge, manner and caring, and I'm now quite impressed with his surgical work. Trixie's incision is 1.5" long, and the stitches were kept below the skin. She looks like she has a scratch. when I had Cinnamon spayed, she had a 3" railroad track incision/suture job. I'm sure part of it was that Cinnamon was 2 years old, and had been through a few cycles (and a pseudopregnancy), whereas trixie was just geting ready for her first heat. But a lot of it is that the butcher....err....vet who did Cinnamon's was a piece of crap, and the new doc cares.

So, any of you who have been through this with a Golden pup- any tricks or tips for keeping them calm? Any ideas on how to get them at least a little exercise to get rid of some of that energy? Our pattern since we got Trix is that when I get home from work at midnight, the first thing I do is take her out and play. No exceptions. If it's raining we get wet. if it's cold, we get cold. We play, period.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Mojo was back to himself the next day. Had me SICK with worry because he liked to jump all over the furniture and run through the house.

DH ended up taking a couple of days off, as did I and we moved our mattress into his room. (Mojo had his own room, which he now shares with Maxie. LOL.)

We moved our bedroom TV and DVD player in there as well. And my laptop and books.

We all pretty much camped out in there for a week. We would only come out to potty or eat. Mojo did get a little stir crazy from lack of exercise but we knew he had to chill out otherwise he wouldn't heal.

Bully sticks. Lots of bully sticks. Different shapes and flavors, if you can. Once they get bored with one, switch it for another. We did that and had all of the Kongs in the house filled with different goodies and frozen, so we would always have one on hand. Peanut butter, cream cheese and yogurt were his favorites.

Maybe practice some tricks. Simple ones like shake, sit, lie down. We taught Mojo "show me your boo boo!" and he would roll onto his back and spread his little legs so we could get a good look at his incision. lol.

All in all I think he loved that week because we were CONSTANTLY with him. He got so much attention. :D

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Right now, use this time to do some training with treats. Having her use her mind will help to tire her out. Play hide and seek. Take a favorite toy and hide it and encourage her to find it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts