Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in india. my city has large number of stray dogs. there is a pack of 20 dogs and some pups near my home. honestly i love dogs, stray or not its doesnt matter. the stray dogs usually keep to themselves and dont act aggressively with people on their own unless you honked your car's horn when a dog is sleeping and scared him or stepped on his leg or tail or tried to scare the dog away by throwing a pebble etc. they just live their lives quietly not bothering anyone and eating out of trash or hunting critters (even cats) for dinner. throughout my life i have left food on the street for stray dogs many of the residents here do the same. they dont bother us as long as we dont bother them. they are friendly towards those who feed them but never come close, just a happy woof and tail wagging to say thanks from few feet away. many of the strays have diseases, have lots of fleas/ticks etc the list is long. i love them but i would rather keep them at distance.

when it comes to taking pets on a walk, the trouble starts. sometimes the strays attack the pet, sometimes they get friendly and rub off some diseases, fleas and ticks and sometimes they ignore. i did dog-sitting for a week for a golden retriever which was infected with ringworm all over her body. the owners had let her play with strays and she got it. thats not the only story. at the vet's place i see many dogs getting infected by stray dogs and coming in for treatment.

the next problem is, traffic. people who drive in my city dont give a **** if they hit a dog. i see many pets at the vet's place with broken legs, bleeding wounds from being hit by a car or some other vehicle.

i would love to take my pets on a walk but everytime i think about the dangers, i just come to a complete stop. the city's govt is also messed up as they dont know what to do about stray dogs and to top it off all the parks near my block do not allow pets. i thought about petitioning for pet's access to one to the parks close to my block but most probably it will be refused. i honestly have no idea where to walk Yuki. at last i told my parents i wana buy a farm and live there. i would have a place to walk with Yuki and play in an open space. i am seriously confused and annoyed.

sorry i just wanted to rant (-__-) kinda frustrated.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I understand your frustration...I really do.
BUT how could you be confused and annoyed.
You are not a first time dog owner...and yet you still made a conscious decision to live with a breed of dog that has been bred for hunting and retrieving. A breed that has a physical and psychological need to exercise.
You must figure out how to honor him.

You will have to figure out how to walk the streets safely and fending off the stray dogs.

Maybe you will be the first person to start an indoor dog exercise arena in your area where the member are required to show proof that their dogs are under veterinary care...on monthly deworming medications and are well mannered!

Reactions: Yuki

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand your frustration...I really do.
BUT how could you be confused and annoyed.
You are not a first time dog owner...and yet you still made a conscious decision to live with a breed of dog that has been bred for hunting and retrieving. A breed that has a physical and psychological need to exercise.
You must figure out how to honor him.

You will have to figure out how to walk the streets safely and fending off the stray dogs.

Maybe you will be the first person to start an indoor dog exercise arena in your area where the member are required to show proof that their dogs are under veterinary care...on monthly deworming medications and are well mannered!
i am confused and annoyed at the govt. they didnt get the number of strays down by neutering/spaying them and for banning pets in parks.

an indoor exercise arena sounds really good to me. but right now i dont have enough space for it. :( thats why i plan to move to a farm.

my previous golden Saya and now Yuki both play and train on the roof. our building's rooftop is flat and enclosed with walls on all sides. its safe for kids and pets. its 60X35 ft area.

i am gonna wait until my foot heals and start going out on walks. :crossfing hope everything goes well.

i seriously need to over come my fear and over protectiveness towards my pets. :doh: after losing so many pets i am always on the edge and keep worrying myself.

long back i used to walk my german spitz but after some strays and then a GSD tried to attack her i kinda stopped going on walks out of fear.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Is there anywhere in your city that is free of the stray dogs? A fenced area? Dog park? Hopefully there is somewhere you can do retrieves with your golden.
I sympathize with you and Yuki. That would be a very frustrating situation.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anywhere in your city that is free of the stray dogs? A fenced area? Dog park? Hopefully there is somewhere you can do retrieves with your golden.
I sympathize with you and Yuki. That would be a very frustrating situation.
:( sadly there are none. my city's govt is sick of dogs. there are almost 300,000 dogs in my city and the numbers are increasing. nearly 200,000 are stray dogs. the govt has also found that they can make $$ out of dog business. we need a license to own a dog and renew it yearly. if you lose your dog and dont find it in 72 hrs the dog will be either auctioned off or killed. its honestly very frustrating.

all parks are for people only and everywhere "pets prohibited" signs.

i havent lived in my city for too long but i really find it frustrating. i really dont like city life at all.

btw the reason i got goldens and why i fell in love with them is because i found a friend in them and they are beautiful, loving, friendly, smart...my heart just leaps out of my chest when i think of them. they are exactly what i wanted. i am hyperactive myself so i prefer a dog that can keep up with me. i dont really know when how or why but the goldens filled the emptiness in my heart and life. they are like my life line i suppose.

·
Registered
926 Posts
@Yuki

I can understand your frustration.
I was upset at seeing what you live everyday when I was in Bangalore 4 years ago - actually 3 weeks before I picked up my now 4.5 year old.

You are doing a fantastic job raising Yuki and to think you have been doing this so many times.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was upset at seeing what you live everyday when I was in Bangalore 4 years ago
glad to know you visited my city. i do live in Bangalore and its worse than 4 yrs ago. i honestly wana run off with Yuki, buy a farm and settle down.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Are you able to buy deterrent sprays like "Direct Stop" or "Spray Shield" in India?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Premier-DIRECT-STOP-RETAIL-SprayShield/dp/B0002XKIV6[/ame]

They are MUCH safer then mace/pepper spray because they wont debilitate you while you are trying to save your dog.

They do not contain mace, but it would be worth asking if they are legal to carry in your city?

If you take your dog regularly to the vet and stay on worming meds all year round and prevent her from eating the stool of other dogs...you should be able to prevent a lot of diseases.

Maybe the Kennel Club of India is working with the government regarding the plight of stray dogs? If so, maybe you could help them!

They may also be able to lead you to training centers that have access to safe play areas??
Welcome To KCI

Reactions: Yuki

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KCI...ugh, thats all i can say about them. it took 3 months just to register Yuki and i have yet to receive the papers. they dont answer the phone either.

i dont know if KCI is working with the govt. i did know about CUPA aiding the neutering of stray dogs. the vets i go to are a part of CUPA and they have tried many times to capture and neuter the strays in my block but the strays always hide when they see the CUPA van coming. so its a struggle for them to find all the dogs. i think they neutered half the dogs but some pups were born and the number increased.

i dont think those sprays are available here and its not easy to get a pepper spray either. cant even find bitter apple to stop Yuki from biting my hands....i have to always carry a toy with me to redirect his attention.

if there is anything i can carry while walking to keep other dogs away is....a big stick or cane. =/ i dont think it would be of any help though.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would stick to the roof walking/exercising and not take the chances associated with walking on the streets with stray dogs. Is there a friend/acquaintance that has a dog that would enjoy exercising with Yuki on the roof? :wavey:
P.S. We all know and take on the responsibilities of dog ownership, but sometimes life gets in the way. We have a dogsitter that comes in everyday and I do without some things so that I can provide for that cost. The fact that some would say since we work all day and are away, that we should NOT have a dog. BUT I will not wait until I am retired to enjoy and give the love of/to our pets. We have 3 very happy girls! From your posts it is clear that you are doing the very best that you can with the limitations that you have. Enjoy your beautiful Yuki!

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a friend/acquaintance that has a dog that would enjoy exercising with Yuki on the roof?
i returned to india in august after many years of moving between 2 countries. i dont really know anyone here. i did see a goldendoodle my neighbor owns few days back :) i was planning on meeting the owners and see if they are willing to let Yuki and their dog play together on my roof sometimes.

·
Registered
783 Posts
That sounds like a good plan! Hang in there:wavey:. I have a co-worker visiting India right now. He is staying with another co-worker and his family. I will try to find out the city.
i returned to india in august after many years of moving between 2 countries. i dont really know anyone here. i did see a goldendoodle my neighbor owns few days back :) i was planning on meeting the owners and see if they are willing to let Yuki and their dog play together on my roof sometimes.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Syd, you know your city/area better than any of us. If Yuki would be at risk walking out and about. Don't do it. Yuki needs all good experiences dealing with other dogs otherwise he could over time become fear aggressive. Stray dogs acosting you and Yuki does not sound like a safe enviroment. :( I would look for other people that have friendly young dogs and come up with play dates in a safe area such as your roof. Once you find some great friends for Yuki the suggestion of renting a large safe indoor space may be more feasible if there are other dog owners willing to invest also. Maybe to get in touch for play dates you can leave information at the vet office you use and others that would like to be involved can contact you.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't log on to Ebay from India:confused: Believe me you are not the only person fed up with their government:D
india has its own ebay and i didnt find it there. ebay.com sure has it but importing it is troublesome because i will have to pay the customs and may even face problems for ordering it. guns swords and weapons and even sex toys are illegal here so its hard. i cant import a japanese chef knife (-_-) cuz its wider and longer than the permissive length and width. guess you got an idea now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
india has its own ebay and i didnt find it there. ebay.com sure has it but importing it is troublesome because i will have to pay the customs and may even face problems for ordering it. guns swords and weapons and even sex toys are illegal here so its hard. i cant import a japanese chef knife (-_-) cuz its wider and longer than the permissive length and width. guess you got an idea now.
Sex toys are illegal?... this from a country that produced the Kama Sutra?

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sex toys are illegal?... this from a country that produced the Kama Sutra?
yep its makes you say "***?" lmao but its true. its kinda hard to find one, i think its a black market item here. thats what i have heard. there are a bunch of issues that make you go crazy here.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Hm, you said you lived outside of India before. Maybe another move to another country is in order. Sorry, but that is my only answer,lol. I am still thinking about the sex toy thing, that really made me laugh, lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts