Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Chips have gotten really cheap too--our group does not do it--even though I keep suggesting it--lots of rescues here do though---

There is a new low cost spay neuter clinic close to me that does it for 10 dollars--I have had vet techs tell me it can be done for free by the owner etc.

I know some folks that both microchip and tattoo their dogs--this is not something I am beyond.

From the Home Again website:
I adopted a pet, and it already has a HomeAgain microchip. How can I change the contact information?
To avoid disputes of ownership, HomeAgain Pet Recovery Service requires that the new Primary Contact provide with the pet's original Confirmation Letter. The new Primary Contact must fill out the area on the bottom of the confirmation letter and return it to HomeAgain Pet Recovery Service with a payment of $12.50. If you have lost the Confirmation Letter, and would like to request a Primary Contact Transfer Form please complete the Primary Transfer Request online or contact HomeAgain Pet Recovery Service directly at 1-866-PET-ID24 (1-866-738-4324). Upon receipt of the Transfer of Primary Contact request, please allow 10 business days for processing.
The AVID site doesn't have anything like that. All I know is Augie was microchipped by the breeder. OK, just got off the phone with them. Augie is all registered in PETtrac with our name and address, our vet's, and a relative's. Whew! Thanks for posting the question, njb!

This is a good thread. Dottie has a HomeAgain chip, and she wears her chip-indicator tag on her collar for the same reason that Brandy's Mom stated. It seems like many people don't stop to think about whether a found dog is chipped.
I don't think a lot of people even know about microchipping. That's why Augie has his AVID tag on his collar along with his regular ID tag. I want to make it as easy as possible for someone to return my dog if he ever got lost. But then I was wondering about someone using the ID number on the tag to change my information to their's. I don't think that can be done now that I've registered my dog in PetTRAK. Before... who knows? All I had was the AVID microchip number when I called up a few minutes ago to register Augie. Anyone could have done that and poof! Augie was now their's :-(

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Actually I am sorry for causing a mild panic. -But I am kinda in panic mode for reasons we all know---

I really love my girl and I don't know what I would do if someone took her or she got lost---

She is a special dog too--kinda of a rehab dog for other dogs--the fosters I have--it is her presence that calms them,. She is the one that coaxes them in to the pool for the first time--Weird- I have only had 3 fosters so far--and not a one of them would get in water when I got them--after just a few days of playing with Julie--they remember. I have watched when they did not know I was--and she does this 'thing' in the pool with her eyes...like she is begging them come on in....baiting them to play. You can see they don't know--like they want too--but--this is new--takes her about 2 days to get them in the pool.

Nothing is sadder than a golden who won't go in the water--or afraid of water.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Aww--how wonderful! Wonder where that dog was for all those years? Homeward Bound?

Fortunately most of the animal rescue and pounds have now been trained to check for chips.

Actually I am sorry for causing a mild panic. -But I am kinda in panic mode for reasons we all know---

I really love my girl and I don't know what I would do if someone took her or she got lost---

She is a special dog too--kinda of a rehab dog for other dogs--the fosters I have--it is her presence that calms them,. She is the one that coaxes them in to the pool for the first time--Weird- I have only had 3 fosters so far--and not a one of them would get in water when I got them--after just a few days of playing with Julie--they remember. I have watched when they did not know I was--and she does this 'thing' in the pool with her eyes...like she is begging them come on in....baiting them to play. You can see they don't know--like they want too--but--this is new--takes her about 2 days to get them in the pool.

Nothing is sadder than a golden who won't go in the water--or afraid of water.
What a sweet doggy :) I'm really glad you posted about this topic, because it got me looking at the AVID site and that's when I realized that Augie wasn't really covered the way I would want.... he could be traced back to the breeder, but not to me. And I'm pretty sure if he had gotten lost, an unscrupulous person could have used his chip number and registered the dog to himself :eek:

BaileysMom, great story!

Discussion starter · #29 ·
All I know is that the folks here really love their dogs and would be heartbroken if we could not find them.

This all started because the people who turned Cosmo in did not 'say' he was micro chipped...how can you have a dog this beautiful and not microchip?

I am still going to have the vet check when I take him in for his flying papers.

All I know is that the folks here really love their dogs and would be heartbroken if we could not find them.

This all started because the people who turned Cosmo in did not 'say' he was micro chipped...how can you have a dog this beautiful and not microchip?

How can you have a dog that beautiful and lock him in a laundry room? :confused:

Microchip Address Tags

I got my 4 goldens microchipped but I didn't put the tags on them because my husband and I felt that if they ever got stolen and they saw the tags they would know they were chipped and wouldn't bring them to the vets in fear that they would be scanned. The vet told us when a new dog comes in they scan it in the back room to see if it has a chip to make sure it wasn't stolen.

Most breeders do microchipping before they go home... all that I have looked into do that.
I didn't know there was another side to microchipping... what is Pettrak? Does it cost anything to register?
It was $18.50 lifetime. PETtrac is AVID's id system. Once you get the AVID microchip number, you can or should register your pet with PETtrac. They take your name, address, phone number(s), your vet's info, alternate emergency contact, pet info, etc, then they mail you a certificate. That way if your pet is lost, they know who to contact. It also prevents someone who found or stole your pet from trying to use the microchip number to change the owner info to their own... I believe they need the certificate to do that (or at the very least, know all the info you supplied to PETtrac). I'm sure the other microchip companies have similar programs, so you can check when you get your doggy.

If I didn't register with PETtrac, then if my dog was found all AVID would know is that the dog came from my breeder (who bought the microchip from them). They wouldn't know he belonged to me and the breeder would have to go through her info to find that out... if she indeed kept good records to begin with.

I got my 4 goldens microchipped but I didn't put the tags on them because my husband and I felt that if they ever got stolen and they saw the tags they would know they were chipped and wouldn't bring them to the vets in fear that they would be scanned. The vet told us when a new dog comes in they scan it in the back room to see if it has a chip to make sure it wasn't stolen.

I just had Tinkerbell done when she was spayed. And my vet recommended not putting the tag on for the same reason. We have a HOME AGAIN chip. It had a place to put vet's info , my info, and aomeone else's in case I can't be reached. For those of you in Hurricane areas I would pick someone outside of your area. I don't have to worry about huriicanes but I still chose to put an extra person down and chose my brother who lives 900 miles away.

Yes, Amber also wears a tag which states that she is microchipped (petrack something) and all our info incl. phone number, home address, email address are on it EXCEPT Amber's name.

We think this would prevent theft as most vet scan dogs at registration (our vet did it in front of us). It is very hard to resell a dog if it is microchipped. Any professional thief would not waste they time with a microchipped dog.

If a dog is stollen the vet would simply call the police and the new owner would simply give the details of the person who sold them the dog. They cannot win I guess but like everything else it is a gamble.

I also believe that with Avid you can pay the lifetime fee and any other pet later can be registered for free. We have had all 5 of our goldens over the years microchipped. I only paid the fee once. Not very often but occasionally the chip will move so it is a good idea to have it scanned periodically at the vet. One of our guys had to have a 2nd one because we couldn't find the first chip. When he was going through tests an xray found it. Ha ha so he had 2. It is a great protection of ownership and for a lost pet.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.