Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Woody, my rescue dog, the infamous Duck Tolling Golden Retriever is somewhere around two years old now - we're not sure of his actual birth date. He just experienced his first real Christmas with presents, family, wrapping paper, boxes, ribbons, kids, other dogs - the works...he was one very happy camper.

But I'm not sure what to do for his birthday - we guesstimated he was about 18 months on his "Gotya" date back in February of this year. Do you people celebrate their birthday on the Gotya date or just make one up and celebrate both days...my brother in his wisdom says just make one up - he won't know the difference. ;)

I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to these things - I still put a milk bone out on my deck for my last golden's birthday every year just to let her know I'm still thinking about her.and it's always gone in the morning. :)

Guess I'll just have to make one up...

Pete

·
Didge's Mommy!
1,144 Posts
He is sooo pretty!!! I say make one for him around where you think it may be.... He won't know the difference and you'll have another day to celebrate!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
When I adopted Cocasse they told me he was 13 months old. I decided to pick a birthdate for him. At first I thought October 15th - middle of the month but then I changed it to the 17th - my birthday number and both my grand-daughters have the number 7 in their birthdays - our lucky number. Is there a number you are partial to?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
We have no information on our three rescues, they were all found as strays before being rescued, so we celebrate on their "gotcha" day! We feel that's the first day of their new life with us in their forever home.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotya...I mean got "gotcha"...sounds good to me. And seeing as how the number 3 keeps showing up everywhere I go I'll offically make it the 3rd of March. Happy Birthday Woody... :):):)

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
850 Posts
I plan to celebrate Roxy's "gotcha" day. Elliot was released to the shelter by his owner and we know his actual birth date.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My philosophy is to celebrate whatever days you know or make up but also each and every day that the dog is with us. That pretty much means every day! They don't get presents each day, but a hug, kiss or just some attention and affection. Their lives are much too short so I want to make sure every day we have together is special in some small way.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
We adopted Dillon in March 2008, and knew he was about 2 years old. When I took him to get his rabies shot for his dog license, they asked his birthdate and told them I wasn't sure since he was a rescue.. so the lady thought for a second, and then just wrote 2/14 as his birthday.. I thought it was cute :)

So Dillon's birthday is now Valentine's Day.. but we also do acknowledge his "gotcha day" in March too!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to these things - I still put a milk bone out on my deck for my last golden's birthday every year just to let her know I'm still thinking about her.and it's always gone in the morning. :)

That is so sweet...

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
All of my dogs have been rescues with little or no history known. My BassettX was abut 9 weeks old, but all the rest were adults or even older adults.

I celebrate their gotcha day. Based on the condition three of them (I've had 5 rescues in the last 9 years) were in when I found them it was the most important day of their life.:);):p: Pretty important to me too.

Of course you can also add in a birthday since you have a good estimate for Woody's age.

Woody sure is good looking and I know he has a great life with you. Happy gotcha day to both of you in fact.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My philosophy is to celebrate whatever days you know or make up but also each and every day that the dog is with us. That pretty much means every day! They don't get presents each day, but a hug, kiss or just some attention and affection. Their lives are much too short so I want to make sure every day we have together is special in some small way.
Dallas Gold very well said...I've always felt it's so unfair that dogs have such a short life but maybe it's because that old guy upstairs misses them so much he just wants them back sooner. I agree...celebrate everyday.

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts