Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
what a handsome boy he is! Thank you for rescuing him.
You said that you have order CAnidae on the web.It's a good food.Check the Canidie website to see sale location near you.It may be cheaper and more convenient.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What a wonderful thing you did for Tinsley - he looks like he might have been out on his own for awhile. I have never had luck with any stuffed toys - they only last a couple of hours before Abbey rips the stuffing out of them (and she has such a good time doing it too). Ropes, tires, balls and bones seem to be the best.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
what a handsome boy he is! Thank you for rescuing him.
You said that you have order CAnidae on the web.It's a good food.Check the Canidie website to see sale location near you.It may be cheaper and more convenient.
That is the thing, there is none around here at all closet is an hour away. The 35 lb bag there is 54 some dollars, on the website I got it for 35 bucks, plus 15 shipped, and I have a $5 off coupon :) so it is worth the wait I think, but if need be I could always drive to Huntington.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Congrats on your new boy!
He sure is handsome and seems to be bonding already.
I've had five rescues in the last 7 -8 years (one from owners ,2 from the pound, 2 just "found"). Only one was a pup, the others were all older adults - mostly almost senior. They all bonded great with me and were wonderful friends.
My first pound rescue was a larger red golden and no stuffed animal (even the special "tough" ones) stood a chance with Chance. He believed they were meant to be gutted ASAP - usually about 1.5 minutes.:) I bought them at goodwill and he just played with the "skins" after the initial thrilling gutting.
I hope you and Tinsley enjoy your new life together! He sure picked right when he walked up to you at the pound.:)

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Hello and Welcome. 'Ants Marching' is probably my fave DMB song. You couldn't have teens in the house a few years back and NOT have become acquainted with them. Better Than Ezra is the other Band whose music is on the soundtrack of raising my kids. Tinsley sure is a lucky boy to have found you and his sister to have found your friend. The Forum is a great place to find all the answers to the inevitable questions you'll have. :)

·
Bailey and Riley
1,454 Posts
Welcome to GRF! So glad you and Tinsley (love his name) found each other. Thank you for giving this handsome boy a loving home and a second chance.
GRF is a great resource for information and a great place to hang out.
Also, wonderful to know that your friend rescued the female!

~Jackie

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
He isn't eating much, I am assuming just the change in surroundings?
Absolutely. Sometimes it can take several days before they get acclimated. One way to ensure you don't encourage picky eating is to put his food down for a set amount of time (10 minutes, 15, 20) and if he doesn't eat, pick it up and try again at the next meal time. He'll learn that he needs to eat when it's time.

Another idea is to use his meal of kibble as training treats. It's good for bonding with you too and for practicing the all important, sit, down, stay, etc.

Other than the eating is everything going okay?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Absolutely. Sometimes it can take several days before they get acclimated. One way to ensure you don't encourage picky eating is to put his food down for a set amount of time (10 minutes, 15, 20) and if he doesn't eat, pick it up and try again at the next meal time. He'll learn that he needs to eat when it's time.

Another idea is to use his meal of kibble as training treats. It's good for bonding with you too and for practicing the all important, sit, down, stay, etc.

Other than the eating is everything going okay?
Good advice! So far so good! I am trying to get him accustom to "his room" and "his kennel" for this first week of being here, that way we can get to know each other and our habits, then I can start opening up the house to him slowly. Right now he is in the HUGE downstairs bathroom, with a extra tall gate on the door, and he has a kennel in the bathroom for overnight, then during the day before I leave I move the kennel so he can play in the room and move around and such. Every morning I come down, and we take off for a walk around the block, then he eats, then I go home from work around 12 to take him for another walk and potty, then get off work at 4ish and we play in the living room before feeding him at 6, after he eats... go figure... we go for another walk :)

After this 10 days is up, there is a LOVELY dog park 3 blocks from my house, so we can play there with the other dogs and get some good action packed energy out. We are just taking it slow right now because of the ol' snip snip :)

P.S. If I am doing anything wrong, please let me know or if you have suggestions, please share!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Oh Tinsley you're a handsome lucky boy. Look forward to hearing more. It's great that you're friend adopted the female, they can hopefully get together sometimes.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
So great that Tinsley is doing well.
Please make sure he does well with other dogs before letting him off leash in the dog park. In my experience adult males who are neutered late need socializing before playing well with others (at least males although the girls always seem to be liked) since their hormones won't taper off for 4 - 6 weeks. Better to be safe than sorry. Of course, there are many people on here with more experience than I have so maybe you guys can add your 2 cents worth?
Again, congratualtions on your find!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So great that Tinsley is doing well.
Please make sure he does well with other dogs before letting him off leash in the dog park. In my experience adult males who are neutered late need socializing before playing well with others (at least males although the girls always seem to be liked) since their hormones won't taper off for 4 - 6 weeks. Better to be safe than sorry. Of course, there are many people on here with more experience than I have so maybe you guys can add your 2 cents worth?
Again, congratualtions on your find!
I have been working on socializing him slowly, my parents dog and him are already becoming buds, I am going to take it slow and keep him on the leash for a little bit at the park to see how he does, so far he is great with kids, he loves my room mates three year old, good with cats, unless they are eyeballin' his food ;P and working on the dogs :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Glad that things are going so well. Everyday you will see more and more of his personality come out.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
congratulations on the great dog you found!! How lucky you both are!! Glad t hear hes eating!! How about some more pictures??? :)

·
3 goldens
11,697 Posts
You were fated not to get one from the rescue so you could save this beautiful boy AND his sister. Congratulatons on your "adopted son." And keep up the post and pictures, and try to talk u friend into joining so we can see and hear all about Tinsley's siser is doing.

We have a resuce aso, a golden mix who was one hour from being gassed at the county pound when the tiny all breed rescue in our little town took her Every week on gas day they go and take 3-4 dog they think they can find a home for. We had 3 full golden and were not iin te market for a 4th dog, but our neigbors who did volunteer work with the rescue actually brought her to our house after we said no.....and the rest is histoy. We feel in love with her on the spot, the dogs loved her and we adopted her Dec. 7, 2002. She was right at a year old so we made that her officialfirst bithday as well as adoption day. She was heartworm positive, so we forked out almost $400 and had her treated. Today she is picture of health, no ill effect at all from worms or tratment.

And sadly, she is our only dog. I llost Hunter Oct. 16, 2003 just after his 4th birthday to autoimmune hemolytic anemia and liver damage brought on by the 6 month heartworm preventative injecton, ProHeart6 and I neverused it again, back to the mnthy pils. Then I lost Buck May 15, 2007 to heart attack at 12 urs 3 months, and then lost Hunter's littermate sister, KayCee May 25, 2008 to cancer at 8 yr. 9 months. I am so thankful we adopted Honey..her name cause hubby said she looked like she was made of spun noney.

By the way, hubby is from Marlinton and one of his brothers lives in Gauley Bridge with Dixie route number for mail. He and his wife are both teachers and he is also a coach.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts