Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

So I've noticed that allot Goldens that I've seen hunt, have a particular appearance; Red coat, lean framed body, and to my curiosity a white diamond of fur on their chests. Why is that? Rarely do you see a stocky, English creme on the field. Why is that?
Amber has these same characteristics and is a great beginning hunter. But does anyone know if this is just a stereotype? I believe any golden has hunting potential in their blood, but are the redheads more field savvy? And does anyone know if the redhead with a white chest a separate standard?

below is a pic of an English creme golden and a golden with the patterns i was talking about

Attachments

·
the party's crashing us
4,476 Posts
First off "english creme" is not an official term. And in fact, your dog would have to be FROM England for this to be true. The dog you picture is not "English creme," "platinum" "European" or anything else, she's just a light colored golden retriever. Likewise the one on the right is just a dark gold golden retriever.
Dark colored is absolutely a stereotype many pigeon hole field bred goldens into. They come in all colors. Color has nothing to do with working ability.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts

You're going to give poor Autumn (Trails End Ms October) a complex calling her "English Cream". ;)

You tend to see darker colored dogs in the field because they've always been there. The ebb and flow with color and appearance that is seen in the conformation ring over time doesn't really translate to the field.

The field rewards dogs based upon demonstrated abilities, not color or appearance.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I see two goldens--of two different colors. Let me know how it goes on your quest for your hunting titles! Hopefully I will be able to introduce Mac to the sport this year--she is the color of the golden on the left--wish me luck!

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Stereotype. There is one standard. The trends in bone and amopunt of coat derive mainly from the priorities that breeders are selecting for. There are red dogs in the show ring (some with little white patches altho they usually get dyed out, or shaved of--yup, seen it), and light gold dogs who do well in the field (I don't think anyone told Emberain Rugby he was the wrong colour!!) Many of the lighter dogs also have those little patches, they just blend in better! Pushing dogs as English Creme or Rustic Red is nothing more than marketing. If colour is the only or primary selection factor, then that is not a sound breeding programme.

And blondes can hunt....

My Senior Hunter...training up for Master

And this blockhead seems to do just fine on birds. My friend with an FCTH black lab likes to shoot pheasants over him...

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
These are all field bred dogs, although they vary quite a bit in color, coat type and texture. One of these pictured is sired by a dog from across the big pond. Can you tell which one it is just by looking at them? Probably not.

Field dogs can be light, dark or any shade in between. Their coats may be wavy or flat, smooth or course, usually short but longer a haired dog does show up once in a while.

Dog 1 Female

Dog 2 Male

Dog 3 Female

Dog 4 Female

Dog 5 Male

Dog 6 Female

Dog 7 Male

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Those are all beautiful Goldens, but #5 should come live with me:p:

So which one is the pond hopper?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I'll play.
Dog #2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well that's good to know, haha i guess i should've known all along! A golden is a golden, and they all have retrieving in they're blood. And thanks for the correction about the English cremes lol, i feel i bit silly on that one :hide:

Thanks guys!
~Alena

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
My guess is #5 but they are all very nice! Here is Brandy...She was a terror on birds. She had her JH and on the way to SH but developed seizures and I didn't want to chance it with water work. She was a lot lighter then she looks in the picture.

Attachments

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Who is pictured in #2 Swampcollie? He's gorgeous.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I guessed wrong. I picked number 3, but who is the female in the #4 picture? I like her too!

Teddi is of 'field' lines I guess. Personally I don't think there was any plan for the outcome of her litter. However she is darker red, slender build, and she too has a VERY faint white spot on her chest. We tell her it is our little secret! I love her type and as I search for my next golden which I am slowly starting to do, I want another "field" bred golden. The drive is there, the desire to work, everything I wanted in a dog. The only down side to Teddi (besides her crappy structure) is she is a bit soft. I hope my next dog is not as soft as Teddi. At least she does have a good brain and is not a nervous golden.

Ann

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Annabel is dark gold, built sleek, short coat, looks like a field golden. But I'd say she's from backyard crap lines. When several generations have one word registered names that's a pretty good clue. But I love my baby girl anyway.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts