Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Just a really weird Sunday in Pennsylvania

844 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  sleepyspencer 
#1 ·
Okay, today was a weird day. We went for a hike a found the head of a bobcat. This photo is not for the faint of heart....we have no idea how the head got on our favorite hiking trail, but we have been speculating. We don't think the bobcat has many natural predators so it is weird indeed. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm attaching a photo of the head and some other pics from the hike. Our guess is that it was either man that killed the Bob or maybe a pack of hungry coyotes. Who knows?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Extremely interesting photo of the bobcat. Are there more, alive, where you are walking? I would be very cautious... We occasionally hear them but I have never seen one alive or dead. Thanks for the photos. Looks like you were having a nice hike..

#5 ·
Hey There Friend

Hey friend,
Wow, what a cool photo of the bobcat head. Do we have those things in Pa.? Man, it's bad enough worrying about the black bear on walks isn't it?
I stopped over to this site to check it out and decided to go ahead a give it a try. I really like the way it is set up.
Talk to you again...let me know how the training is going...I might stay here afterall, but I will check the other one....dc

#6 ·
I'm thinking you must live a bit north of me. Bobcats are still common in Central PA. We have a few that wonder over the line into where I live in in Central Maryland. When one is spotted, it usually causes a lot of excitement. One of my neighbors saw one not too long ago in her backyard. She is a dog lover, like we are, so we were all a bit concerned.

#8 ·
Yup, there are probably lots of Bobcats in that particular area. I have always been too busy worrying about bears to worry about bobcats. Our county is probably the most highly populated bear county in our state. It was a great afternoon and the three of us women considered (I did anyway)it a great adventure! What can top finding a bobcat head. Okay, I'm weird I know!

#9 ·
That must have been shocking to find :uhoh: . Did the dogs find it or did you see it first? I found a dead deer once at the edge of a pond once...quite stinky!

Those were really nice pictures. I love walking the dogs in the woods, I don't think there are any bears around here :confused: :no: !!!!

#10 ·
Oh my, SS .... what an unsettling find. I think I'd be more scared of humans in the area if I were to stumble upon that. I mean, do wild animals sever the head and take away the rest of the body? I don't believe I've ever seen that on National Geographic. The head goes with, you know? I'm hardly an expert but I just have a funny feeling about that. I can't really tell by the photograph but it looks mostly fresh ??

I heard of a bobcat on the river trail here once, in Pennsylvania. And ever since a bear ran out in front of my car on the highway, I tend to stay away from the river trail. Just as well, easier to catch fish at the lake :D and I'm rarely ever alone there. I can handle fish ... wild animals with big teeth, I'm kind of whimpy about that !!:doh:

SS, just thinking here .... I think I would report that to the game department.

#14 ·
We actually found it face down. The dogs were kind of sniffing around it like maybe they were interested in what was around it. You actually can hunt and trap bobcat in PA. Not too sure about the trapping rules, but the hunting season lasts from Oct. ? to the end of Feb. and you are only allowed to take one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.