Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to start showing golden retrievers. My sister has a golden retriever male with good conformation that she says I can show. I have limited show knowledge and had a couple questions I thought people here could help with. 1st off, can I title my sisters dog if I compete as a junior handler? 2nd. Will I be competing against dogs who are championed? 3rd. I know a dog has to have 3 majors to become a champion, but how many dogs have to be in the ring for a major? And finally (for now at least) do you have to come in first to place? Thanks, Kylie. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also my sisters male (Aus) has never been shown, any tips for getting him ready for the show ring? Specifically he has never been taught to stack. THANKS!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Being a junior handler, you are being judged on your performance. You don't need to bring a dog that is conformation quality. However you can enter your dog in a regular conformation class for a reduced rate when you are also showing as a junior at a show. This is my understanding anyway. I'd recommend finding a good conformation class and have someone give you some things to start working on. Good luck! You will have fun!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Carolinacasey. Can I still title a dog though? I really think it would be cool to champion Aus.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
I love hearing that you are interested in handling. Our professional handler Karen Mammano was a junior, and then it became her passion and profession later. People are really happy to invest time and energy to help Junior Handlers learn, because you are our future. Then this year she judged Juniors at the Eukanuba Dog show- she had come full circle.

We have a great junior handler named Keller at our training center. She worked hard in handling classes and then at shows, and it paid off bc her "fairy dog mother" Julie Guay at Brookshire Goldens then gave her a wonderful junior dog named Bunny as a gift to show in JRS. It sounds like you have a lovely dog in your immediate family, so now you need a mentor to teach you grooming and a class to teach you handling.

If you want to show in both juniors and regular classes, it is important not to take money for that, as you can lose your JR status. If you go to the AKC website, it will explain to you how to get an official id number as a junior handler, which you need.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
People are really happy to invest time and energy to help Junior Handlers learn, because you are our future. We have a great junior handler named Keller at our training center. She worked hard in handling classes and then at shows, and it paid off bc her "fairy dog mother" Julie Guay at Brookshire Goldens then gave her a wonderful junior dog named Bunny as a gift to show in JRS. If you want to show in both juniors and regular classes, it is important not to take money for that, as you can lose your JR status. If you go to the AKC website, it will explain to you how to get an official id number as a junior handler, which you need.
This made me cry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts