Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
where the tails wag
13,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you so much Sharon! You are always so encouraging! I watched a bunch of Bridget's videos (the free ones on YouTube) of her training her Malinois when she was a puppy, and I think I'm going to try adding in a bunch of the through the legs tricks that she does for motivation and fun. So then our heeling games will involve food, tugging/retrieving, spins, the through the legs tricks, and whatever else I can think of to get this dog (and myself) to love heeling.

Heeling can be beautiful :) enjoy and try to build a bit at a time.

I don't know if you watched Aedan's video, but there is a spot where a noise startled him during the Figure 8 and he immediately recovered .. he is starting to understand heeling ! And a spot in Towhee's video where 'shiny thing' pulled her attention on her GoOut where she recovered and continued her job. These are the moments I really love as a dog moves through training...the quick recoveries become 'been there, done that' type of things that result in really nice times in the ring.

·
where the tails wag
13,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
A few videos from this morning -- introductions to the pivot pot. The older dogs have done some touch & pivot work on the bottoms of flower pots etc, but never a horse feeder pot :) Please excuse the bed hair LOL

ETA: and in case you spotted it -- that is a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) on my upper arm -- as a diabetic this helps give me important information pretty much 24/7

Aedan :
Brady:
Faelan :
Finch :
Towhee :

·
Maegan
428 Posts
I think it's funny how some dogs pretty much put their feet up there automatically (like Eevee, Aedan, and Brady), and some dogs do not want to step on it whatsoever (like your other three and Rocket). I use a 5 gal bucket lid, but Rocket absolutely did not want to put his feet on it at first. No amount of luring could get him to do it. lol

Took both dogs to the GRCCO meeting last night and we did Novice Trick Dog tests. Both dogs passed and had a ton of fun! Eevee technically got her first title too!

I'm starting to see the light come back on behind Rocket's eyes. :) The light of pure joy when training and having fun with me.

·
where the tails wag
13,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
LOL it did help to actually place a paw on the bucket after a few failed lures :)

And some people worry about what a dog can see! Heads totally up and yet they can still dance around a relatively small bucket!

I think it's funny how some dogs pretty much put their feet up there automatically (like Eevee, Aedan, and Brady), and some dogs do not want to step on it whatsoever (like your other three and Rocket). I use a 5 gal bucket lid, but Rocket absolutely did not want to put his feet on it at first. No amount of luring could get him to do it. lol

·
where the tails wag
13,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Today is like what I imagine Florida to be!! Yuck -- humid, sticky & already in the 70s at 9:30 am

So, only 2 dogs went to drop in :) both for the 10am class

Aedan had a combination of Open & Utility with some high & not so high spots -- oddly he missed his leather article but I am honestly unsure if this was his first try with someone else's scent. I am rebuilding the retrieve exercises so he was not given any opportunity for failure, his heeling had one slightly wide about, his MSFE was great, his Go oOuts & DR were really nice, his drop on recall really nice, BJ perfect. Some things to work on but many great things :)

Faelan!! finally got his turn -- he was so awesome :) Happy, prancey and while he too missed his metal article it was wonderful to step into a ring with him again -- this instructor tends to do run thru style classes for the advanced dogs if there are only a few of us there,

I am undecided if I will work the other dogs since it is now afternoon. And I need to consider the CER impact of hazy hot & humid.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts