Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on this one....

In 18 months to 3 years from now, I'd like to get another border collie. One that can be shown, do obedience, agility and so on. I've had two border collies before, one is still here of course (not counting a rescued dog I had for a few months years and years ago...). I've contacted a few breeders, and either gotten 'great, we have a litter on the ground, which would you like' type responses, or nothing for a response.

The reason timing isn't good now is for a number of reasons, mainly it's not in the budget, and I don't have time for a full time puppy right now either - I could make it work but it's not the ideal situation. Waiting a year means more training time as well as my youngest will be less trouble to deal with. I don't want another golden, I have my reasons for that too.

I'm not sure if I should just stop and wait a year and then start looking, or continue to look further and shop around a bit to see what's out there that would work for me. But then I don't want to be ready to get a pup and not get something that would be show quality either because I've waited too long to start looking.:bowl:

Advice?

Lana

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think I would wait till the year that you want to bring a puppy home.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I would wait--certainly look if you want but don't worry about contacting people. When you are really ready than you can see who actually has litters and they would be more interested in you.

·
801 Posts
I would start going to dog shows and start talking to people. We went painfully down the road of having a breeder over state their knowledge and breedings. If we had started at the shows and gotten to know people would have forgone some expensive mistakes. We love each of those mistakes now but find what you want and like and then start talking to the people who have the dogs you like.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I'd say keep looking. Ask those breeders if they have any puppies or dogs related to theirs near you. Meet the puppies (...and demand the breeder doesn't let you take one home!), the adults, relatives, others who have dogs from the breeder. Ask for breeders they would recommend, and...this is probably what you're already doing.

Explain exactly what you're looking for...I'm a bit surprised that it sounds like several have told you that their litter is just what you need (and really...if they would all be great...I'm jealous that you've had such a good time finding breeders you like!). They should be excited you are planning so far in advance!

It took me forever to find a breeder I was happy with. And I'm glad I took as long as I did to make a decision.

Waiting is also a really great plan with a young dog in the home. After having several friends with multiple senior dogs....I'm absolutely careful to have huge time gaps between mine!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
If you find a breeder you really like then it would be great too be able to observe them for a while and possibly build a bond with the breeders. If they have any litters now you have a year to see how those dogs develop and whether they would be ideal for you.

I know very little about border collies but are collies used for showing very different from working type collies? I am only used to farm dogs so seeing pics of show collies with so much fluff is amazing!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you find a breeder you really like then it would be great too be able to observe them for a while and possibly build a bond with the breeders. If they have any litters now you have a year to see how those dogs develop and whether they would be ideal for you.

I know very little about border collies but are collies used for showing very different from working type collies? I am only used to farm dogs so seeing pics of show collies with so much fluff is amazing!

Yes and no... it's much like the 'show' and 'field' goldens. Same breed, just different lines. Unfortunatly here where I live it's almost all working border collie people, some do clearances but a lot don't, and the ones that have dogs I quite like won't sell to anyone who dares want to do something other than herding with them - one even said agility would create hip problems. So I hate to deal with those sorts of 'breeders', and I'd like a slightly less hyper border collie this time around, love Ticket but he's just so much dog!

I am going to keep looking around and see, I'm sure something will come around somewhere.

Lana

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I couldn't look and not end up with one. If you can "window shop" then go ahead and enjoy it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts