Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I posted this on the behavior board, but everyone on this board has been so helpful, I thought I'd post it here too!
Here's Josie's behavior problem this week :doh::
When she's outside on the leash, she will all of a sudden turn to me and start jumping at me and biting me. She goes for my hands, my coat, and then my legs as I try to hold the leash so she can't get me. I try to stand still and be boring - doesn't work at all. I've tried putting her in a down and stepping on the leash until she settles (trainer's suggestion), doesn't work and often makes her madder , plus I just don't like doing it, it just feels like there is a more positive way to teach her. I've tried redirecting her with commands and treats, sometimes works but I feel like I'm just teaching her a new way to ask for treats. Usually I end up getting her/dragging her to the house, and then giving her (and myself) some time out in her crate. (I always give her treats in the crate so she doesn't think it's a punishment.)
Any suggestions on how to get past this weeks mystifying behavior problem? Don't worry, next week I'll have a new one to solve!;)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Maggie was like that as a puppy. She did out grow it. But it seemed every piece of clothing I owned back then had tears and holes. Something I did do was carry a walking stick. Not to hit her with, but I would put it between us or thump it on the ground or point it at her along with a firm NO. For some reason she respected that stick.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Payton does the same thing, but not on walks. When she's on the leash she's too busy trying to pull me down the road! But outside or even inside it's like it's attack mom all the time! I'm just waiting on her to outgrow it.....

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Looking back....I would have done much more treat/positive training wtih Lucky at this reactive puppy stage. Lucky is very food motivated...and when he was an older puppy treat training helped redirect his thinking and ingrain good behavior.

When Lucky was about 9 months....he was a VERY good boy in the house. But when I put him on a tie-out for fresh air....he was pretty darn close to dangerous and very unstable when I went to retreive him. Having treats available really saved the day until he grew out of all that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just was on a walk in the rain with Bailey and it was the worst walk. She was walking maybe 5-10 minutes fine and the other 20 minutes she was jumping up and biting the leash constantly and nipping arm (not that I was hurt). It was so annoying and it's usually never that long.
Most of the time she does it like one time during the walk and it lasts maybe 2 minutes but never that long, I don't know what got into her today... maybe the rain?
Today we were also at a local outside mall for almost 2 hours, so it's not that she was at home all day.
I will see our trainer and see what I can do, because the things I do (standing still like a statue, or standing on the leash) aren't working at all. Saying with a firm voice NO doesn't help either...
It's always playful and not in an agressive way but I don't like it all.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its good to know its not just me, hopefully she'll grow out of it. I'll keep trying to redirect her. We are trying out a new trainer in a couple of weeks for a one day puppy class - maybe she'll have some new ideas for me. Of course, by then, she'll have figured out a new obnoxious behavior to baffle me with. :uhoh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea we are having the same issue Fin is all but 5 months old. He gets crazy on the lesh when he goes out to pee but does good when walking. He gets even more crazy with my wife. Ripped the sleeve on my jacket last night infact. It is good to hear it is not just us.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like the "zoomies" to me - reported many times in this forum. Holly does it at least once in the morning and always at 5:00 in the afternoon - if we are outside at the time she jumps, growls, attempts to bite and so on. If we happen to be inside at the time she usually takes her Kong "Wabba" toy and shakes it violently while growling. After 10-15 minutes she is back to "normal."

I discussed this with her vet, a golden owner for a long time, and he said it was normal puppy behavior. I do notice that the zoomies don't occur on the days when the weather cooperates and we can get one or two long walks in.

It looks like we are all in the same boat with our puppies. :doh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yup....Bear is 8 1/2 months & does it too...mostly when we put the leash on for a walk, he tugs at it & jumps around til we're out of the front yard - then smells overcome him & he walks good after that. I try the sit position & give him a treat & that takes his mind off doing it for a minute while I leash up our lab. Lab used to do it too, just feel it's the excitement of knowing we're heading out & hopefully like others have said, they'll out grow it with maturity!

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW, Im glad to hear that I am not the only one with a wild pup! Lucy is 8 weeks old and does the same thing! Cant wait to hear some of the suggestions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts