Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been hot and not good for training. My strategy is to train early morning or early evening if temps are not too bad. A weather report with more favorable temps gives me greater flexibility.

I have been doing a lot of training alone. There are lots of advantages to training alone. See Dennis Voigt's TRAINING RETRIEVERS ALONE book and DVD to see the advantages.

We trained about 1.5 hours alone yesterday. Y drills, blinds, suction blinds, basic blind drill and more for both Buffy and Thor. And we could actually drill the concepts. Overall, a very good day.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Dennis Voigt's TRAINING RETRIEVERS ALONE book and DVD to see the advantages.
That's certainly a good set for the amateur trainer...I need to revisit both and get refreshed.

Presently, on weekdays my dog's world largely consists of blinds ... land and water, long and short, complex and simple; despite the summer season, on weekends my training group still convenes and trains for several hours on both Saturday and Sunday (and on holidays :) ), which is when the dog gets its marks. As is typical for me during the off-season, I'll run about 75% singles with multiple gunners in the field and the rest of the time I'll run multiples.

·
aka Shelby
1,573 Posts
I hear you on the heat! Its super hot here, we train at 730 but today we decided we need to meet up at 6 am next week. Our heat index has been around 106 during the day.
Im back to square one with Shelly, who is 13 weeks. Nice though, running with multiple guns in a big field. She is doing pretty well, looks out at both gunners and sits in anticipation of the marks. She is running right at the bumper and coming back in. All flat throws and all about 50 yards or less. But the guns are conceptual, meaning she still has to look past the short gun and run past it. she also has to focus on the gunner throwing the bird. I was super impressed with her water marks today. She had a long swim down the middle of the pond almost to the end but the water also had a slight current pushing her towards the gunner on the bank. I was so excited to see her fight it to stay on line to the mark!
I forgot how it is going back to the puppy stage. But what is interesting is now I know what I'm looking at and what I'm looking out for with the puppy. With Proof I just did things completely uneducated. Thank goodness he knew what he was doing and it worked out! lol!

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
It's been a cool rainy summer here. We are at 70 degrees today and that's the warmest so far this summer I think.

Riot is off to his breeder and the pro. I've gotten him as far as I could on my own. I'll see him in September... The plan is to fly to the pro's place and train with him for a week, then go to GRCA national specialty and run him there. I know a week of training with the pro is not enough, but it's all I can afford to take off work for.

Lucy is loving her time at the spaniel hunt tests. She won the Chukar Challenge!! She beat all the spaniels (and the other retrievers)!! The spaniel people love her deliver to hand ability and her fearlessness on running through cover. Don't tell anyone, but I don't train her for the spaniel tests at all. She's a natural. It's so much fun to watch her stalk birds. She responds so well to whistle overs and come-ins. She so good at hunting close and thoroughly. We communicate very well her and I. She doesn't miss a bird! It's really too bad we don't have pheasants up here, she would be in heaven. The birds never have a chance when she's in the field.

This summer I'll wrap up my spaniel hunt test judging apprenticeships. We have to do 2 apprenticeships. My club just has you do all 3 levels - junior, senior, master on the same day. It's nice we can do that based on how they run their tests.

In the meantime with Riot gone, we've been having a lot of fun and not having to train at all. Summer is so short in Alaska, I already catch myself looking at the hills to see if there is any fresh snow...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drizzle on and off today but----I can do some yard training right out my front door.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never really did send backs before but I started training both dogs on this on Wednesday. Buffy is picking this up faster than Thor. I think there is a lesson here. What is easy for one dog could be difficult for another dog.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
gdgli,
are you headed to national this year?

·
the party's crashing us
4,219 Posts
Kristin and I trained last night at Lazy J. Just land. Set up two long marks and one short one. I ran the outside two as a double then the long single up the middle. We then did a blind tight off the back side of the short gun. Everybody did well.
I finally have Brix lead-steady so he is able to do something other than just baby marks. Before he would start struggling to go before the gunner even threw the bumper :) There's hope for him at Junior after all! :)

·
aka Shelby
1,573 Posts
worked yard OB and simple movements. Shelly sits well so I'm able to sit her and walk out toss a bumper and then walk back to her. She enjoys this challenge. She is reminding me of Proof a lot at this age. Both dogs like to be challenged instead of just repetition on yard work. Treats work a little but its all mental for them. I really enjoy this a lot as it keeps me on my toes and I like inventing games to get them to do the things I want them to do.

·
the party's crashing us
4,219 Posts
Training this morning...stickmen in the ground at 7 a.m.
Nobody north of the Mason-Dixon line is allowed to complain about how hot it is...

Ran long one as a single first with all dogs (no other guns visible) then put it together as a triple

JRC-7-9-2017-drone.jpg

JRC-7-9-2017-pano.jpg

·
the party's crashing us
4,219 Posts
Tonight 6:30 pm
77º
89% humidity
overcast and trying to rain
3 singles at Boat Pond field
Bally perfect line manners
After that walking singles (6)
Brix -- 10 months -- did super on his walking singles today (he obviously didn't do these marks...). He has figured out to be lead-steady and runs HARD. Happy with his quick progress now that I've decided I ought to train him :)

JRC-7-10-2017landmarksBP.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Anney only 77 degrees! Wow that must have been like December weather? Any snakes in that tall grass?

Lucy has been back retriever training. After a year off, she's getting back in the swing of things. The spaniel stuff is super easy for her and we don't train for it. She's a natural and well. It's kind of embarrassing to see how easily she does it. Now the retriever stuff, that's a whole other world. Lucy has matured now and she's 5. She's paying more attention to me now. After a year off, she's remembered how to cast. She's remembered how to run a water blind. So I ran her on 7 water blinds. She doesn't need to be de-cheated again, well for now anyway. So I'm going to go ahead and run her in senior. It will help me pass the time until Riot gets back. The nice part is, now that she's no longer a show dog, her coat can go to hell in the mud and her and I don't care. The good news is, she marks just as well as she did before. And she's a really good swimmer. So we'll see. Maybe...

We had a special weather statement come out today. We're supposed to get into the 70's this week! Wow!

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We trained yesterday. Trained early thinking we would beat the heat. I was wrong, it heated up quickly. And I discovered that I left the e collars at home. Well I had to make do, after all I traveled 40 miles to train. Anyway I do have experience training Amish style so we managed to put in about 1.5 hours. Marking drills, casting, and we ran some blinds. We had a good day.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It's so dad-gum hot that I am training right at sunrise and then during the 20 minutes AFTER SUNDOWN when there's barely enough light to see the dog on a blind!
It's pretty miserable right now.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's so dad-gum hot that I am training right at sunrise and then during the 20 minutes AFTER SUNDOWN when there's barely enough light to see the dog on a blind!
It's pretty miserable right now.
Right now, 7 AM...

78°, 74% humidity. I had initially planned to train but the dogs don't do well.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We had a very nice day training today. Relatively cool weather, cloudy sky, and very little wind. We (Buffy, Thor, and partner's dog Breezy) had the chance to train on terrain that can best be described as ridges that had mowed strips in the cover. Very interesting to see what happens to a dog that goes into a ditch and comes out into a clear mowed strip. We had a chance to do some teaching.

After running a couple of blinds we then went to water to run water blinds. The dogs had to cross a pond by going through thick lily pads, open water, then more lily pads on the far shore. We haven't really run through lily pads before so this was good.

·
aka Shelby
1,573 Posts
congratulations Vivian!!! that is so exciting, I'm thrilled for you guys! And Holly has gotten some senior passes on Flyer. This has been a good summer for the two siblings!

I miss Proof a lot and know what you mean about missing training. Although I've been training my pup its not the same and I look forward to going up north and training Proof in another month. Shelly is coming along nicely, she is 16 weeks and I've introduced some simple handling and lining drills and puppy doubles to her yard work. She was so crazy about retrieving marks that if I said, "mark," then she'd start bucking around like a nut and trying to leave before the gunner had even thrown the bird. Funny, Anney came to visit and by the end of the visit we both knew that I had to try to steady shelly as best as I could regardless of her age. She will mark like a madwoman if she watches the bird, but run at the gun if she was just crazy which is a bad habit I don't want her to get. So these past two weeks we've worked hard on sit in the yard and its working well, that's why I can start doing some drills. She is also coming into a heel position on her own based on her in house OB (though not perfect of course.) Its pretty cool but I have to be careful not to dampen her spirit so its all upbeat and yeah happy puppy and all that stuff. She reminds me of Proof with that desire to just learn and do things with me and tries to coerce me to follow her in the day to the back door to work. Today we are going to a flat field to stretch her out a bit. Pretty soon my bird boys will be off to school so I've got to get as much in as I can, ha ha!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts