Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I watch Jon and Kate Plus 8, and saw a preview that they're getting two german shepherd puppies. Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea? :doh: I'm just afraid for the puppies. Eight kids= overstimulation. I just don't know that the dogs will get any rest. Besides that, Kate hates germs and dirt. We all know that our dogs can be messy playing outside, mud, house-breaking, vomit, diarrhea, etc. Anyone else have any thoughts? :confused:

Edited to add: When will they have time to train two large dogs?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I also think that 8 kids would be major overload for the puppies. Poor pups.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I also think that 8 kids would be major overload for the puppies. Poor pups.

And 8 kids + 2 puppies would be a major overload for those parents!! I realize they must have a lot of assistance, financial and otherwise due to their show.. but still. I really think this is going to end badly. Poor pups.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I saw the previews too, with one pup having an accident on the carpet and you could hear Kate in the background saying "OMG 2 puppies, what was I thinking?".

Take the kids to a shelter/rescue and let the older ones volunteer some time walking, cleaning up, and feeding the dogs weekly.
Sheesh:doh:

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
I think one would be good enough! It would help teach the kids responsibility. BUt two is a lot of work.. I still find Cedar a handful and I dont have any kids.. I hope it all works out well.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
My prediction = outdoor dogs. Once they're past being cute and docile for the cameras, they'll find themselves outside, perhaps in a dog run, so the gaggle of mini-primates can be outside and not be bothered by the dogs. I suspect a future episode will include rehoming little Pookie and Scruffy.

Of course, it COULD be a great opportunity to showcase the work involved in raising/training a dog -- they could feature a trainer, or even 4H. I'll be curious to see what direction it goes.

Are they shelter pups? Only a shelter or BYB would adopt out to that environment.

*sigh*

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Well hopefully they have the money to spend on some dogwalkers or trainers. Two puppies.... sheesh.

And yeah, see them being outside dogs soon, stuck in a dogrun.

Lana

Ok just looked it up on their website and I'm annoyed. They got them as Christmas presents. And they said 'what the heck, we'll give puppies a try'. A try? Christmas gifts? May have to send them an email. Shame on them.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
...is this a suggestion of the TV producers or of Jon & Kate? Maybe the puppies will just be TV time fill ins & not live ins!

I honestly don't think non-doggie people realize how much time/energy/$$$$$ that our furkids take to raise them properly.

(My stepdaughter has 2 babies - 14 months & 3 weeks old & considering getting a puppy! On top of that, her boyfriend/father of the kids, is in the armed forces and heading off to Afghanistan, they live in PMQs on the base, have no backyard & stepdaughter will be going back to work (RN on shiftwork) full time in Jan/10. As well, she's NEVER had a puppy that lasted with her move than 2 weeks (returned it to the shelter) Yes, I'm doing my best to persuade them that it's a BAD idea. There are some people who should NEVER have a dog!)

·
16,000 Posts
GSD's in particular are not, IMO, the best choice. And especially NOT 2 at a time. The amount of time and training that must be devoted to them is unrealistic in their situation. And whil GSD's may be great with their "own" children, they may not be with their children's friends. This could be a big liability. Not to mention not the ideal situation for the puppies.

My money is on them not lasting in that home for long, sadly.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
so the gaggle of mini-primates can be outside and not be bothered by the dogs. I suspect a future episode will include rehoming little Pookie and Scruffy.
Steph, you made me spit chicken soup with that one...

So wonder when Octo(-rather 'quattuordecim') mom will get her puppies...litters for litters, lol

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
(My stepdaughter has 2 babies - 14 months & 3 weeks old & considering getting a puppy! On top of that, her boyfriend/father of the kids, is in the armed forces and heading off to Afghanistan, they live in PMQs on the base, have no backyard & stepdaughter will be going back to work (RN on shiftwork) full time in Jan/10. As well, she's NEVER had a puppy that lasted with her move than 2 weeks (returned it to the shelter) Yes, I'm doing my best to persuade them that it's a BAD idea. There are some people who should NEVER have a dog!)

Ugh... military families are famous in my area for getting pets and then as soon as they are deployed (even with the spouse still at home) the puppy is rehomed on Craigslist usually with an exorbitant rehoming fee as well. Um.. you didn't realize when you got this puppy that you were going to be deployed within the year? :doh: My boyfriend is in the Navy and I'm actually thrilled that I will have the pups home with me when he leaves... makes it all a little less lonely I'd think. I just don't get this whole "just temporary" attitude associated with pets...

·
Banned
125 Posts
German Shepherds??? Why would they start with a challenging breed instead of an easier breed, like a Golden?

GSDs typically have litters of up to 10 pups. These two puppies will think the eight kids are their new litter mates.

I foresee good times on the show and good learning experiences for the kids.

If the puppies are sound specimens, they'll adapt to the new environment. Just as they would whether they were going to live in a condo in a big, cement city or in a farmhouse on a huge farm somewhere.

·
old but new
711 Posts
I think the love and dedication a pup brings to children is remarkable! I think though...that ONE puppy would be good for the kids...however, I am not to sure about Kate! I like Kate, I think she is much like me....;)...I am a germ and clean house freak too! However, I am also an animal lover....so I had to learn to "balance" the two! I know Kates children are HUGE animal lovers....so to deny them the experience just because there are 8 of them....is not fair. However, one pup is enough...cause I think Kate will be freaking out when the "accidents" happen!! I just hope that Kate will be able to let the puppy "issues" slide for the sake of the children! They LOVE animals soooo much! I think it will be great fun for them! (the children, that is!) :D JUST NOT SURE THEY SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN SHEPARDS!!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
This makes me so mad I could spit! I don't like Kate; she's the definition of self-absorbed and narcissistic. She won't tolerate puppy accidents or one of the kids getting scratched by puppy nails for more than a week or two, then those puppies will be confined outdoors. And I truly doubt she'll be using positive reinforcement training techniques, if she uses any training techniques at all. Waiting about five years would give this arrangement a much better chance of succeeding with ONE puppy!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts