Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking thru this section and I see quite a bit of info on older dogs that need a lot of help and I see a lot for puppies. But I need something for a dog just startign to have trouble with her hips.

Tinkerbell has seemed stiff occassionally in the past. but this weekend she was definitely having an issue. I gave her a low dose aspirin this evening with her supper and that seemed to really help. But it is obvious that I need to start a joint supplement program.

I'm thinking I need more than a preventive start but I also don't want to go to the maximum either, I don't think. Her hips are not bothering her all the time at this point and she's only 3. So any recommendations?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I dont have any information as Beau was 11 when he went on suppliments. So I am bumping it up.

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
I think Cod liver oil is the best thing, my old dog improved using cod liver oi. 15 and half. Its a natural anti inflammatory, read up on itl

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I use the cosequin DS with all my crew. And also fish oil which helps with inflammation too.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I am going to check with my vet today about GlyocoFlex. They have different strengths for different levels of problems. A friend is using it and says it has done wonders for her older GR.
I also started a thread about it and got some good reviews so I think I will at least try it for a couple of months and see what happens.
Good luck!

·
Ripley & Levi's too!!
720 Posts
Now I use Nupro Joint Supplement, its a beef powder that you sprinkle on the food and mix in alittle water. I was using Gloucosamine from the vet but Monty wouldn't chew them so I always had to put pb on it and he would just swollow it. Nupro for me is easy to use and I can see its working. He has had problems for 3 years now and he's only gunna be 8.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, I did see that glycoflex has 3 different levels, I'm thinking that maybe the second level would be a good choice to start with. And then as she gets older and if she gets worse, I could move up to the third level.

Tinkerbell is fine today, actually since abut an hour after I gave her the aspirin last night, she's been back to her normal self. Which is good.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
JOY was diagnosed with ED at 9 months old. I have had her on GF III twice a day ever since. She is now 11 and just starting to get a little stiff when it's cold out. I can't say enough good things about it !!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JOY was diagnosed with ED at 9 months old. I have had her on GF III twice a day ever since. She is now 11 and just starting to get a little stiff when it's cold out. I can't say enough good things about it !!
So you have not needed to go with anything stronger in all these years? Maybe I should go with level 3 then.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Dasuquin is a wonderful supplement for Tango's elbows, and makes a lot of difference. It is pretty expensive, but worth it.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Jill are you buying the Dasuquin in the 150 count bottles? They are more cost effective then the lower count bottles...the vet doesnt keep the 150 ct instock...but will order them upon request...takes about a week to get them...

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Yes, which is so nice! Finn and Tango take it, so it is crazy. Tango probably(hopefully!) has 14 years of Dasuquin to still to come- jeez.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Liberty has been on Dasuquin 2x daily for 8 weeks (as of today).

While I have seen improvement...she has regained some muscle mass - so I know she is using it more. I do still feel more resistance when I gently flex her bad elbow versus her good one...while some of the resistance could be her anticipating discomfort...I do think some range of motion discomfort is still there...

I am going to do a trial of GlycoflexIII...to see if I see anymore additional improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts