Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a two year old golden retriever who I would like to start taking he on jogs with me. Have done some shorter runs with her 1-2 miles. Want to go a bit longer, but I don't want to push her beyond what is safe for her breed. Of course I run at her pace, when the weather conditions are a bit cooler, and make sure to monitor her to make sure she isn't experiencing any discomfort.

Bottom line is there an acceptable known range as to how far is safe for a Golden Retriever to run?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Kate
21,407 Posts
Go by your dog and her particular fitness level.

If she shows any reluctance or other signs of discomfort - you should revert back to a level she's comfortable with.

·
Einstein's handler, lol
251 Posts
My old Dundee would go with me on my bike rides for miles a day. This was on a small island, no leash, he would just follow me. I'd stop when he wanted a break or fell behind. I'd say after a few years we got up to 15miles a day. Took a months to work up to that level of course. I'd say average was about 8-10 miles a day. This was over about a 3-4hr period with a several stops to just relax during. He never had joint issues until he was about 14 when he developed arthritis.

I'm curious what others will say. Einstein will prolly never do more than 5 miles a day with me here in the U.S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I am currently doing. Just didn't know if there is an research or data that shows you should limit your dog to this mileage. She seems to want to keep going as long as I do, but I want to make sure I am sticking to what is safe for her. Right now I keep it to no more than 2 miles.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I used to run 3 miles a few times a week with my lab. He could have gone longer, but the heat/sun made me keep it at 3 when he was running with me.
What I would suggest is to build up very slowly. I used the same rule as for humans, never add more than 10% distance per week.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I asked my vet this question to my vet when Salty was little. She basically said to increase her mileage at a slow rate (10% a week) and to keep it around 6 miles. She was my running partner for years, then became my walking partner when she got older. Check your pups paws occasionally to make sure the road isn't burning if tearing up them up. Have fun!!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I take Danny, my 7 year old golden, jogging with me 3 times a week for about 3 miles each time. To be honest, he could probably easily go longer, but I'm not there yet, condition wise. We built up together and I think if you were to do it that way, she would be fine pretty much whatever the distance.

When I was younger, we had a farm and I did competitive trail riding. My training rides were several times a week and were at least 10 miles, some days we would do 15-20 miles. I had a lab mix that went with me on every single training ride and she never got worn out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts