Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JJ's finally ready to hit the streets and start exploring the big world out there. He had a vet visit today which included getting 3 shots - Bordetella (nose spray), Dist/Parv (3 of 4) and Rabies. The vet told us that he can now safely go out and about where other dogs play, but to wait at least a week before taking him to the dog park. We're just as pleased about this as he is.

Although the vet said he's good to go, I have a question about the Dist/Parv shot. Apparently it was the 3rd of a series of 4. He goes back for the 4th one in 3-4 weeks. In your opinion, with just 3 of the 4 shots done, is he safe to go nose to nose with other dogs, say in Petsmart or at a park that's not necessarily a dog park?

Also, how do you suggest I introduce him to pavement. I obviously don't want to put to much stress on his joints, but I do want to get him off the property and around the neighborhood. Should we start off slow, say just up the street and back (about 1/4 mile) for a couple days and then gradually go further from there, or what?

On an entirely different subject, I posted some new photos of JJ at 15 weeks old in the picture section. You can find them here - http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-pictures/104038-jj-15-weeks.html#post1543023

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I continue to be confounded by vets who tell people that dogs can't go into the outside world until after the primary socialization period...

Hit the streets and get in as many positive experiences as possible. Walking on pavement is not going to hurt the puppy, you just want to avoid doing lots of running on pavement and letting him play only on pavement. We start at 7 weeks and do half-hour strolls by 16 weeks.

Yes he's good to socialize with dogs, just make sure they are friendly. Obviously not at the dog park or petstore.

Have fun!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I still would avoid dog parks and petsmart until 2 weeks after his final set of vaccinations.

Reactions: Blondie

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's met tons of people since we got him, from neighbors to random people who drive by and stop to see him whenever we're outside. Everyday he's meeting somebody new or somebody he's met a few times before. He just hasn't had much play time with other dogs yet. Most of the ones in my neighborhood are older and don't have the patience for his crazy antics. That's why we're dying to get him in puppy classes so he can be around some other dogs his own age.

jackie_hubert - You're suggesting I don't bring him to petsmart yet for puppy classes?

Rainheart - When you say 2 weeks after his final vaccination, you mean 2 weeks after his 4th dist/parv shot?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Petstores, dog parks and vet clinics tend to be the places that all sorts of dogs visit so those places tend to be the ones that people dont want to bring their puppies...but I say better go to class at Petsmart than not at all.

If you don't have a checklist already check out Puppy Socialization Checklist

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Petstores, dog parks and vet clinics tend to be the places that all sorts of dogs visit so those places tend to be the ones that people dont want to bring their puppies...but I say better go to class at Petsmart than not at all.

If you don't have a checklist already check out Puppy Socialization Checklist
Appreciate the link for the checklist.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although the vet said he's good to go, I have a question about the Dist/Parv shot. Apparently it was the 3rd of a series of 4. He goes back for the 4th one in 3-4 weeks. In your opinion, with just 3 of the 4 shots done, is he safe to go nose to nose with other dogs, say in Petsmart or at a park that's not necessarily a dog park?
Can I get some more suggestions about this?

·
Registered
262 Posts
We started Wrigley at petco puppy classes at 10 weeks even though he wasn't fully vaccinated. he did fine, but he was heavily supervised by a trainer and behaviorist. I was told by our vet to keep him local ... Only let him be around dogs we knew until fully vaccinated ... No dog parks ... I don't think I'd take him our locals dog park anyway ... There are a lot of questionable and ignorant people out there.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Finding a suitable dog park, takes some doing. Some are better than others. Just be careful. Some dogs tend to be obnoxious. Maggie and I lasted about 8 minutes at one dog park and never returned. The second dog park we visited was on an overcast day, so there were only two other dogs there and Maggie was interested in them.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
2 weeks after the final vaccination which is usually given at 16 weeks. So, at 18 weeks old I would say he is safe to go to petsmart and dog parks if you choose to do so.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We waited until his last set up shots for dog parks but our vet encouraged neighborhood walks and training classes earlier. He felt that the type of people who bring their puppies to class are pretty good owners and likely are up to date on shots. Plus, the place we go to training at requires shot records.

We've had mixed reactions with dog parks. Last time he seemed a bit overwhelmed with too many dogs. He's very confident with other dogs so the fact that he was uncomfortable told me it was probably time to go. He was probably sensing something we weren't. The place we go is a big forest area with swimming and it's great to just let him run on the trails but the swimming area gets crowded. There are often owners there who don't control their dogs well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts