Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just sick with worry. My best friend, Jesse James Brown is bloated, and acts very weak. I've been all over the web and I'm scared he has bloat, but he doesn't have all, or even many of the symptoms listed, except the bloating. He started acting like he felt bad yesterday, and this happens from time to time, so I wasn't worried until today. He DID defacate about noon today, and acted like he wanted to more but couldn't, and then has had two small bouts of diarrhea -like movements later this evening. He also urinated, and again, acted like he wanted to do more but couldn't. He has eaten today (ham and bread) and has drunk a reasonable amount of water.
I called the vet a few hours ago, and she said she'd put him in the hospital tonight and do the diagnostics in the morning, but he would be so distressed to be there alone tonight--we don't have a night-staffed animal hospital in my small town -- so I've elected to keep him here and take him at 7:30am... have I made a mistake? Help!

·
16,000 Posts
This could be a potentially life threatening situation - it could easily be a blockage - any stool in front of it may have been what he eliminated. I would NOT wait to get him into the vet.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
How scary! Would she at least check him for a blockage before leaving him for the night? I am sending good thoughts your way!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That is very scary. My fingers are crossed for you. I'm with the others and I would beg your vet to take a look at him tonight even if you had a to pay a premium. Better safe than VERY sorry. Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
Not to scare you more than you already are, but I agree with Pointgold and Oakley's dad. A blockage is a very serious matter. Do you think he could have been eating any rawhide, socks, etc? The bloatedness of the dog seems very scary. How do his gums look? If they are white or greyish, then it's a drastic emergency. Did he eat any very fatty food(pancreatitis?) I really hope your good friend does not have bloat, and I hope you'll be okay. Is it possible to beg your vet to come take a look?

·
2,309 Posts
If your regular vet won't see him tonight, is there another vet or an emergency vet that can see him? As the others have stated, bloat is a very serious condition.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
That sounds like a really tough situation. I know its going to be a very hard night for you and I'll be anxious for updates.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Is his stomach hard and enlarged? If so have your vet meet you at the clinic or get him to an emergency hospital quickly, please. He doesn't have to have the other symptoms to have bloat.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Blockages aren't anything to mess around with. Get him to a vet now and get him checked out!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope he is ok and not bloated or has something causing a blockage. Good luck and let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Thinking of you tonight, and praying that Jesse James is OK. Please give us all an update when you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
guys, thank you all so much for your good thoughts. At about 10:15 my worry got the best of me, I called the vet and she met me there... a few tests an hour later, and the diagnosis is devastating. She thinks Jesse James Brown has Splenic Hemangiosarcoma. Kept him to get him well enough to do a splenectomy tomorrow. But she told me to google the disease, and I did, and it's devastating. Even with a successful splenectomy, hemangiosarcoma is a malignant cancer that carries a three week to six months life prognosis--the last three months with chemo.

The thing is, and I read that this is typical: he was great and frisky and seemed healthy three days ago.

And I'm writing this as though I'm not sitting here crying my eyes out. Which I am. I'll know more in the morning, and will update you as soon as I am able. thank you all for your kind words. Call on the doggie angels to be with my boy.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am so very sorry to read this tonight. I know how devastating this news is, and I will be praying for your wonderful boy and for you in the days ahead.

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Oh no. I am so sorry. I am hoping it's not what the vet thinks!! How old is Jesse James? Prayers and best wishes coming your way for both of you.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts