Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Im wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem I seem to be having. My pup Lucky appears to be jealous of my daughter. He tries to dominate all my attention when she is around and will try biting her and jumping up in my lap so that I'll pay attention to him. He loves her, he gets so excited to see her but doesn't want me interacting with her. Its becoming a bit of a problem and I want to nip it quickly so it doesn't get out of hand. My daughter is 6 and is becoming afraid of Lucky.:confused:

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a post on this about my puppy being jelous of my new kitten. What I have found that has been working(still working on it) is when you are interacting with your daughter(in my case kitten) and it looks like the pup is about to interfere, make him sit and stay (use treats). Then after praise your pup and give him lots of attention.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Yeah, you need to nip this (pun intended :uhoh:) in the bud. You dog sees your daughter as a sibling in the pack and is competing with her for your attention. I think the idea of rewarding him when he is good (as poster above suggested) is good one. Also turning your back on him or giving him time outs when he behaves that way. But if you're not able to stop the behavior, you might consider getting some advice from a professional trainer. You don't want this to escalate. Jealousy conflicts between children and dogs are the result of many child injuries and many abandoned dogs (I see them at our local SPCA all the time. Not saying you'd do that, just saying it's common.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts