Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Jaxon snuck a rib bone

Tags
bone pork puppy
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  amazingjs89 
#1 ·
Jaxon just turned 12 weeks old a few days ago. Earlier today he snuck a pork rib bone off the table. No meat, just the bone. Ugh I'm so frustrated with myself. Turned my back for just a minute. He ate about half of it before I managed to get it from him. He was intent on not letting me get it. He ate about 2-3 inches I'd say. How freaked out should I be? Ill monitor poops and keep an eye on his attitude. Anything else I should do?

#3 ·
He should be fine. I feed Ella raw meat with bones every day (although I don't give pork bones). Obviously, you should avoid giving dogs cooked bones, but if it's only 2-3 inches, it's probably not a big deal...they are carnivores, after all

#5 ·
Keep an eye on him- make sure he isn't trying to vomit or poop anything out with nothing being produced. Watch for retching of any kind. Keep an eye on his mucus membrane color and make sure he isn't getting pale. Last but not least monitor his poops for evidence of the bone!

Reactions: Karen519
#6 ·
So far he seems okay. He ate normally (as if he hasn't eaten in a week). He has pooped once several hours after. There were tiny white flecks in it. He's his usually self right now. Hopefully the night goes well. Thanks for the advice. He will be at the vet tomorrow at the first sign of trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.