Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband and I are currently stationed with the US military in South Korea. This place is NOTHING like home, but the fact that we brought our beloved fur-baby, Jax out here helped to make this place feel like it.

I got Jax in College and my husband "adopted" him once we got married. We don't have any human children, just Jax. He was truly the heart and soul of our home. We did everything with him! He was so much fun and we were constantly playing with him, singing to him, or making him dance with us. He was always a little shy around other people and more timid than most goldens, but that was what was so endearing about him. he NEEDED us, he only felt safe and himself with us. He was ALWAYS so obedient and one of the most trainable Dogs ever.

He was 5 years old and had an absolutely perfect temperament.
We had wrestled with whether or not to have him neutered for some time. We ultimately decided to go through with us because he had problems with some "discharge" and it was always frustrating to find it on the furniture or the floor, etc. We had read and been advised that having him neutered might fix the problem and were urged to do so by our vet on the Military base.

We made the appointment and dropped our sweet, perfect, incredibly happy baby off at the Military Veterinary Clinic last wednesday for the procedure. To be honest we thought nothing of it really, I just couldnt wait to see how adorable he would look wearing the "cone of shame".

That afternoon we got the worst news we have ever received. Jax died during the procedure. The Vet tech had neglected to do a routine pre-op procedure in which some exhaust valve is pressure checked. If he had done the proper inspection he would have found the valve to be improperly closed and Jax would have, more than likely, had no issues.

They realized 4 minutes into the procedure that something was going wrong when some bag on the anesthesia machine was blown up huge. They tried to correct the mistake, but it was too late.
They said they gave him CPR for 45 minutes, but were unsuccessful in reviving him.

Our hearts are so broken. I have never felt so regretful about any decision I have ever made in my entire life. Why did we elect to have this procedure done in the first place?? I would give ANYTHING to rewind time.
Our home is so empty and this country has never felt so foreign and lonely.
I have this terrible pit in my stomach and it wont go away.

I have had Goldens my whole life, but Jax was different. He was one of those "once-in-a-lifetime" dogs. His spirit was so meek and gentle and he loved the heck out of us.
I feel like I have no closure because it was so unexpected and so shocking.

I miss him so terribly and I fear that we will never find a Golden that was as loyal, fun, and sweet natured as Jax. I will always miss him and there is no doubt that the remaining portion of our tour will not be near as bright as it was when Jax was here.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
OMG....I don't even know what to say. Your post has me in tears.
We lost our collie very suddenly and unexepctedly at two years old, so I know your pain.

But to think what happened to Jax was avoidable is just incredibly heart-breaking.

Big Hugs to you.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.It is horrible that this should happen when you & your husband are giving us the kindness of serving our country.For that, thank you.I will pray for your peace & comfort.Again words cannot say how sorry I feel for your loss Prayers will help & I'm sending one out now.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I am so very, very sorry for your tragic loss. Sleep softly sweet Jax, sending you strength. Gone way too soon.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
OMG, how heartbreaking. I'm so so sorry for this horrid tragedy. Big hugs to both you and your husband. Godspeed sweet boy. You are forever loved.

Reactions: David E.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Oh how terrible! I am so so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain you must feel. Thank you for your service to our country!

Reactions: MercyMom

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Lkc

LKC

There are NO WORDS for me to express my sorrow for you.
I am SO SORRY.

I will put Jax on our 2013 Rainbow Bridge List!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
SO sorry for your loss. I can imagine the pain you are going through. It is just so very tragic. He sure was a beautiful boy. There just are no words to say how sorry I am for your loss.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Absolute heartbreak...I am beyond sorry for the loss of Jax. Strength to both of you.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts