Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timber has always chewed on his crate.
If he got bored, he would slide over and give it a chew.
As this is a wire crate, as soon as he started chewing, we would stop him and give him something more interesting to play with.

Last Sunday morning, while I was sitting with my coffee, watching TV, Timber started chewing - I didn't notice :(
All of a sudden, this poor boy starts shrieking, pure panic - for both of us!
He had got his lower jaw sideways and caught between two bars.
Screaming for the hubby, who was upstairs sleeping, I tried to pull the bars apart far enough to get his jar out but couldn't do it.
Mike flew downstairs, panicked himself at the noise Timber and I were making, and was able to pull the bars enough for my boy to get his jaw out.
Needless to say, the crate was taken down and put out that morning - he has been sleeping in the kitchen at night anyway.

I still get tears in my eyes when I think of it.
I haven't even been able to post this until now it has bothered me so much.
My poor boy was so scared. I was so scared.

Has anyone here ever had this happen???

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I've heard of things like this happening, but I've never had it happen personally. I'm sorry to hear you got so scared, and I'm glad to hear he's OK.

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
Oh my gosh! That sounds so scary! I'm glad everything turned out okay. I've never heard of that before.

·
Registered
820 Posts
No this has not happened to us. But how scary! I am so sorry to hear this. I hope Timber (you and your hubby) are doing better now!

Poor guy!

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,681 Posts
OMG - this happened to my Casey once. I honestly don't know how I got to that crate so fast and my training mates were also amazed!! I leaped over everything between me and my Casey, and literally wrenched that crate apart.

I was terrified and making an amazing sound myself - kind of a keening noise that I think was utter terror!! This in addition to Casey's terror; it took a while for all of us to calm down!!

I am so glad your Timber is okay ..

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I'm really happy to read that Timber is ok! I'm glad that you were home when it happened and able to help him out. I've never heard of it happening before, but now that you bring it to mind, I can't understand how it's not more common!

I would be just as shaken up about it as you are. Give Timber a big hug for me!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll tell you, my fingers were so sore from trying to pry those bars apart!!!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm glad everyone is ok...

Layla has a habit of getting her jaw stuck in lots of things LOL. She got hers stuck in the xpen when she was just a small pup. Then she got it stuck in the outside run... and in Hurleys collar.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
There really is no worse sound than what a dog makes when they're in pain and they can't get away from it. I haven't had that experience with a crate but Daisy did get her leg stuck in the back of the couch once -- that's the only time I heard that cry and I hope it's the last time!

I worry about the wire crates for this very reason though. What if this happens and no one is home? I can't even think about it. If I ever have a puppy again and have to crate, it will definitely not be the wire kind.

Glad you're all okay!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I know that sound of pain. Brady got his jaw stuck in the baby gate rails. This gate was permanently affixed with hinges, and had raised two other puppies, and three babies before him.

I gated him in the kitchen then went out the front door. I could hear it all the way outside. Could not get in there fast enough. I can't even remember how I got his jaw out. So scary!

·
Registered
287 Posts
That happened to Teddy a few weeks after we got him. We were in the same room and he started panicking and crying. We were able to get his jaw unstuck pretty easily, but my heart was racing and it took a while to calm down.

I'm glad Timber is okay!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
That really is scary when you think about them being in a crate when you are not home. Might consider getting some plexiglass or white board to fit it to the crate sideswhich would stop them from getting the jaw through the bars. I wonder if any brands are made differently that might prevent this.
I also had our 1st golden get a leg caught in a couch that has a reclining seat.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I know that sound. Diesel got his jaw caught in a baby gate when he was a puppy. It was terrifying. Luckily it was a pressure mounted one and I could undo it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The thought of it is just scary, I mean crates are designed so the dog would be safe when left alone.
Glad your dog is ok :)

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
I wonder if some crates are better designed to prevent such accidents? You know how children crib designs have changed over the years to protect children.

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
It has never happened to us, but I'm terribly sorry you and your family had to go through that. I can't even imagine how scary that was. I'm very glad to hear Timber is OK.

·
Nicole
227 Posts
our pets have a knack for getting stuck.
our cat managed to get his head between the rails on the back of the kitchen chair...supreme terror on everyone's part....though if you picture trying to free a frantic cat and legs spinning like a chainsaw...you can imagine how scratched we all got! :doh:
glad your pup was fine and the metal crate is curb-side :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This morning as I was closing Gus's crate, I was bending down over the top of the crate and petting him through the open door. When I went to stand up, I was stuck. My necklace had gotten stuck in between the wires! (I'm thinking about this thread the whole time). I tried for a little while to get it out while I was still wearing it, but my face was basically pinned to the top of the crate. I finally managed to take the necklace off, stand up, and then free it...so beware--it can happen to humans too! (Although maybe not some of the smarter ones:))

1 - 20 of 20 Posts