Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 cats 1 female about a year old and a male that is around 7 months old. The female lets Jakey bite her really hard and she cries and just jumps back on the counters or her cat tree. She is really good and never wacks Jake nor hisses. She lets him do everything to her. When Jake is out of sight Rara will look for him to make sure he is okay.

On the other hand, my male has never been the agressive kind but a very scared cat at new environments, but he loves to play with our neighbors cat and never been afraid of him. With Jake however on Friday when we brought Jake home, Littles stayed on his cat tree all day and never came back. when i tried to introduce jake he would just hiss. Now Littles has gotten better and comes down and smells Jake. However if jake gets too close he will wack him and run off to jump high. Sometimes he wacks jake very roughly where Jake cries. We have only had Jake for 5 days now but Im afraid littles will always wack at him or play too rough ? Littles will sometimes lay next to Jake when hes asleep but sometimes he will run up to him wack him too hard and aggresively and run off. i dont know if this means he is trying to play with him or if he is aggresive. Both our cats fight very aggresively with each other but never fighting its always playing. I think Littles is trying to figure out how to play with the puppy since they are both play ful but doesnt know how.

Any one had a similar problem ? I'm afraid Littles will never get used to our puppy and I can only keep them together under supervision ?

In the picture below the white and black cat in the front is our female Rara, and the black tuxedo cat in the back is littles.

Attachments

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
We have two cats; one is pretty tolerant of Jamie (18 mos)and the other stays away from him.

Bumping up for more experienced advice.

677 Posts
Gosh, this could have been puppy Casey with our two cats! Maggie loved him from the start...three years later he continues to playfully grab her by the back of the neck and squeeze until she squeaks, then lets go and chases her. They can play this game for hours! Shadow, our other cat, does NOT like this game, and let Casey know from day one with scratches and hisses. She was also much more reserved with Casey until he was more grown up. Now they are great buddies (on Shadow's terms). Shadow meows at the door loudly to let me know when Casey needs inside (the doofus won't bark!!) and curls up in his bed with him...but NO wrestling or squeezing please! I love how these "natural enemies" learn to get along and become friends when they share a home together...perhaps a lesson for their humans!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Very cute pictures. I think they will work out a set of rules of play amongst themselves. They sure look very comfortable together.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
The fact that they are all cuddled on the chair like that makes me certain that they will all figure everything out for themselves pretty quickly!! Sometimes a puppy needs a little whack to let him know what is ok, and what isn't. As long as there is no blood being drawn, I think it's safe to assume that the cat is just trying to put up some boundaries for Jake, not intentionally hurt him...just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
From the picture it looks like its progressing nicely. I have 10 cats (yes, you read right). Some were kittens when introduced, some were adults, some where there before the dogs, most didn't come until after. Personally, I like to let the cats be in charge. They are smaller, and can be hurt by large dogs. A few whacks to the face never killed a dog, and will teach the dog to keep its distance unless given permission. In time, they will become friends, or at least tolerate each other. Every single one of my cats gets a long just fine with the dogs, with the exception of one, who still will bop them in the side of the head every once in awhile, just because. But she is the Queen, so I allow it, and the dogs just wag their tails and look at me like "what I do?".

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have two cats...one (female) that pretty much ignores Zep unless he's sleeping. But, my male HATES dogs. He's a brute. When we brought Zep home, the cat instantly cuffed him and hissed and carried on. Needless to say, after being cuffed a few times, Zep quickly learned to keep his distance.

They get along fine now...every now and then, the cat cuffs him, i dont really know why. I guess he's just a butthead and has to be in control. :) The cat goes as far as guarding Zep's water and food dishes...he'll sit up on top of them and poor Zep will whine, but does not dare to get near as he knows he'll be cuffed in the face.

Poor Zep is such a push over!! But, i figure the cat was here first and he doesnt hurt Zep, so i let them work it out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was gonna post something similar to this tonight, glad you beat me to it! My kitties, Copperfield (female) and Houdini (male) are brother and sister and about 1 year old. We got them very young from my husbands grandmother, who has farm cats. We got Roxy about 2 and a half weeks ago, she is now 11.5 weeks old. Copper has been brave from the start, she will get close to Roxy and sniff....Houdini will only watch Roxy as long as she is leashed or in her kennel asleep. Hopefully the kitties will learn to accept their new "sister" into the family soon! :D speaking of copper, she just fell asleep, on my hand, as i was typing this lol

·
Michelle, M & M's mommy
432 Posts
I have 1 cat, Maestro who is 3 and he adores Molly. When it was just the 2 of them they would play all the time, and often it was the cat who would start it. Maestro doesn't care for Mosby a whole lot right now, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he is such a hyper puppy. But they all get along fine over all. I don't interfer with their interactions since I know they will work things out for themselves.

Give them their space to work out their heirarchy and things will be fine.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Give them time, Littles may never accept the puppy the same as Rara but he will come to terms. After all that little puppy is going to get BIG and fast so Littles may get a "whack" back one of these days. They will work out their relationship. Personally, I think that whole "natural enemies" thing is a myth. I have never had problems with cats and dogs (cats and cats - Oh Yes!)

My 6# KC was our pack leader, he loved dogs and the dogs loved him. Ms. Melanie is another story, she isn't too fond of the dogs but she won't give an inch after all she was here first. She will climb onto my la with Darby (he isn't too bad) but Kirby she hisses at all the time and I don't blame her Kirby is always chasing her. No - I don't stop it, Mellie is a little "plump" and the only exercise she gets is from Kirby (her personal trainer). :)

·
Phyllis & The Solas Gang
676 Posts
I think they will work it out. Our cat Pappy lets the puppies play with him, and when they get to be to much he runs away.On the other hand Sunny wacks them right away and only comes off his perch when the puppies are being calm or sleeping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts