Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a week ago i noticed my dog chewing on something and about to swallow it, i opened his mouth.. and its a sock going down his throat.. so i quickly pull it out.. so disgusting.. didnt even know they could swallow socks? ive been very careful to make sure theres nothing lying about, but in the past 3 days he's puked up 4 socks!!! :( gag gag gag then puke. and its a sock!... now im really worried because for the past day he's been off his food, looking very sick, and has really bad diarrhea. the diarrhea is so runny that its like a huge puddle of liquid that just sprays out..... (sorry for the grosse image.) he's not himself at all. im going to take him to the vet when it opens today, im scared he has blocked his bowels up with socks or something.. is that possible? i have no idea how many he has ingested :(
has this happened with anyone?
:(
 

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
Poor boy, it is amazing what they will swallow....

Yes it is very possible (and fairly common) that they can have an obstruction. The obstruction can be at any point in the digestive tract...

Thankfully Ive never had a dog that needed surgical repair for an obstruction....I know there are some here that have....

Hang in there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,755 Posts
Yikes, welcome to the sock-eater club.. I've got one at home too!

You may want to make a trip to the vet if he's not eating at all. Blockage is VERY possible. I am so lucky that my dog has been able to either throw up or pass through every sock he's eaten so far, and it's been A LOT of socks.

You will learn to get verrrry diligent about picking up your laundry and never leaving it around for so much as a second.

Please let us know how it goes if you take him to the vet!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,358 Posts
Yes get him to the vet as an obstruction is a distinct possibility. I hope everything turns out okay. Please keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I would definitely get him to the vet ASAP. We had a female golden who at age 10 decided to eat a sock. We had no idea and then she got very ill and was puking bile and would not eat. The vet missed the obstruction but the ER vet we rushed her too found it and saved her life. It had gotten stuck in her large intestine and a portion of her intestine had literally died. The had to remove the sock and reattach the intestine. $2500 later she live until the rip old age of 15. We were careful not to leave socks on the floor after that.

I now have a year old male who is following in her footsteps so we still have to be real careful.

Take Jake to the vet as soon as possible!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
Sock eater at my house too. Man they can swallow them fast!! Jazz spent the night in the hospital about a year ago because she had become very sick from swallowing a sock and parts of a stuffed animal. She still eats socks if she can get hold of one. :no:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone! i'll let you know what the vet says.. he's just been lying down all morning :( usually he's barking and going crazy for breakfast at this time :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,628 Posts
How scary! My Danny was a sock eater when he was younger. One time he had eaten 3 socks, one of which was my husband's tube sock. It finally came up on day 3, the same day that I was planning on taking him to the vet.

Let us know what the vet says!
 

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
OH my, please let us know wha happens...I also had 2 sock eaters (this is gross but they both liked underware also) Thankfully they never had to have surgery...one of them we thought was part Billy goat (Riley) she would throw them up or theyd come out the other way...Sandy (our last golden) the same way..but Riley LOVED all that stuff...we thought Sandy just copied her. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,752 Posts
Sending prayers snd good thoughts that this gets fixed soon.

Certainly does sound like a blockage. As you can see, it's happened to many around here! How much longer before you can get to the vet?
 

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
Please let us know what they say. HUGS to you and your pup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
Best wishes to both of you. Thank goodness my two are not chewers, well Kirby tried a few carpets (orientals) but gave it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
How's Jake??? How are YOU? We are always on sock/tissue/underwear/dishtowel/bread bag twisty-thing patrol around here. It is truly amazing what they will eat!!!! Hope everything works out all right.
 

·
shadow friend
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
Worried about Jake, looking forward to hearing from you to see how the vet went. My Max did swallow a sock. From reading here, I knew to give him a bit of hydrogen peroxide. After the 3rd puke, up came the sock. We are super careful around here too!! I hope that Jake will be okay.
 

·
Nancy
Joined
·
7,493 Posts
Waiting....:(

I hope Jakey is alright.
 

·
I've seen all good people
Joined
·
5,002 Posts
Hope Jake is okay!! Waiting with everyone else for an update.

I'm so glad I don't have a sock eater! I can't imagine how they can throw them back up....especially a tube sock? seems like it would make them choke, but obviously it happens! Crazy dogs!
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top