Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Jake Growled at Noah..

666 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kjarv24 
#1 ·
Jake Growled at noah tonight...
Jake was sleeping & Noah decided to use Jake as a step...ehh
It was my fault 100%--I was out of the room for a second noah was watching his 15minutes of spongebob & Jake was across the room--I walked out to get the laundry out of the dryer to bring it back into the living room to fold it all. Well, While I was walking into the room Noah was right up to jake took his foot and started to use jake as a step to get up to a chair!! :mad: I know it had to hurt to have a 35lb baby step on you, anyway jake looked up at noah half asleep, no snapping at all and growled. Nothing viscious, no teeth--he immediately stopped growling once he seen it was noah, & all this is happening while I am on my way over there telling Noah No, and how he has to be easy with Jake.....
Anyway, After I removed noah, I then took Jake to his crate to finish his nap, and he was glad to do so.
I don't think I have anthing to worry about....I have decided that anytime I am out of the room or have to be then Noah will be up in his high chair, jake will be in his crate, or they will be seperated with a baby gate.
I think Jake just woke up to pain and that was his instinct was to growl...I mean who wouldnt be grouchy to being woken up to pain. I've also found out that Jake is VERY VERY vocal!! He barks when I'm getting his food ready with excitment, he barks play growls when hes excited with just about anything, especiall when we get up in the morning and he is being let out of his crate to potty and eat! lol
I have checked jake over to make sure there is no soreness, & he is acting just fine--I was a little worried maybe noah Really hurt him.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like a good solid plan, you can never be too safe and it sounds like you're taking all the right steps to keep furchild and human child safe!

#4 ·
I wouldn't worry too much - I'm not an expert, but I think a growl response is a good and healthy one - it is just to give "warning" that he doesn't like what is being done!

If he were to have just snapped at Noah with no warning, then you might have cause for worry - but I think Jake was just telling Noah he doesn't appreciate being used as a step ;)

#5 ·
It doesn't sound like anything you need to worry about as far as Jake is concerned. I'd just make sure to watch Noah alot more.

I know Kinser, my grand golden has made a warning growl at Colin, my grandson, a couple times when Colin hurt him. 99% of the time , he is very patient. I'd growl if someone stepped on me too. : )

#6 ·
Dogs will growl out of pain or if surprised when asleep!.
He gave a warning and didn't act on it which is good!.
I think you've perfectly,well analysed the situation and I know you will be even more careful,now!.

#7 ·
Yes, Thats exactly how I would put it - A Warning Growl. Definitely nothing viscious, and he almost seemed sorry he had growled at noah after it was done with. I was really worried that Noah had Hurt Jake, everything seems to be fine..Its good to hear that everything is normal here, which I knew it was in the first place. I've seen viscious dogs and even viscious young puppies "i owned one" & Jake acted NOTHING like this! Thanks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.