Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jake had a play date first with a 12 week old female pit bull. Went well but pitbull was a little agressive so don't think well do a pit bull puppy play date anymore.

On the other hand, Jake met his new best friend, a 1 year old male golden retriever, Comet. He played very nicely with Jake, and Jake loved him. Owner was really nice and wants to let them play on the weekend, he ever offered to puppy sit if we ever needed it.

Enjoy the pics and video:

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't know who had more fun, Jake or Comet. I hope their future playdates are equally enjoyable. That was fun to watch.

·
New Dad
254 Posts
that was sure a beautiful pit bull puppy too bad he was aggressive. I wouldnt totally rule out the whole breed though, for the most part they are very loving, they just get a bad rap. Honey played with a pit bull yesterday and she was the dominant one. My friends golden retriever nearly attacked Honey when they met, LOL. Jake is sure a good looking dog too, hes gonna be a real handsome boy. Comet like from Full House, love it!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sounds like such fun! Don't rule out that cute little pit bull after only one chance though - my Josie can be a real bully at puppy class sometimes, when she's feeling extra feisty. I know Josie just needs to learn acceptable behavior. Sometimes I need to step in and redirect her, calm her with a timeout, and when she goes back to play she's calmer.
Look at me sticking up for the pushy broads!!!:)

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Define agressive? When Max was little he and Darby really would go to town. She would even get a bit huffy and get a good growl going on and play with even more gusto. She is a golden doodle and was not agressive, just spunky. Puppies play very hard.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would give the playdate with the pit puppy another try but maybe with some extra puppies. This puppy probably needs to learn acceptable play and socializing skills and if everyone shuns her, then she won't get to learn these. However, I was not witness to this playdate, so you have to do what is comfortable for you and your baby as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What happened was, they were fine playing happily and were very good even when we were giving them both treats at the same time together when they both sat. The problem was when the pitbull female puppy had jake down on his back and she was on top and had a good grip of jakes ears, face, and neck really bad hold of it. Jake in defense got very visious and attacked the pitpull in defense and they were both sounding very vicious like they were fighting. Once my husband pulled Jake off and jake was so ticked off that he was barking and growling and showing his teet that he attached my husband even a few seconds after he was holding him from pulling them away. He bit my husband and was very mad. This happened quite a bit, then I pulled them off when this happened again but this time I got bit (I believe it was Jake) really bad on my thumb (I was dripping blood) and after looking at my finger have 3 large open wounds on my thumb. I think he also got the pitpull puppys chin a little wound. But when Jake played with the golden retriever he was a angel and never once played aggresively or growled or anything with Comit. Even after giving them time to cool off sometimes Jake would just start playing too rough then the pitbull would attack agressively and have jake down on his back. My thumb still hurts really bad and the pitbull puppy really brought the aggressiveness in Jake out (Ive never seen him this way before). Should I give the pitbull puppy another chance or was she just too aggressive at 12 weeks ?

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Okay, that's not normal for sure. While puppies can draw blood from each others nips, that sounds like more than that for sure!! I wouldn't let them play again either. Sorry about your thumb. :(

·
Registered
215 Posts
It sounds to me like Jake is having some dominance issues and pack status problems. If it were me, I would let them play together again, but I would maybe add comet in the mix. Jake probably plays well with Comet because he is older and respects that status in him. He has probably never had another dog try to be dominant over him and didn't know how to react with this. This needs to be addressed NOW before he is too old. Your playdates are a good idea. I would think about puppy kindergarten as well if you aren't already doing those. I am curious how many puppies were in Jake's litter and at what age did they go to new homes? Other people may have differing opinions on this, but I think we would all agree that this is not typical puppy behavior and I do not think it has anything to do with the fact that the pitbull was a pitbull, and more to do with her trying to show dominance over him (or him thinking that was what she was doing at any rate).

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Goldens are the greatest babysitters. They just seem to know how to play with puppies. Darby was a year when we got Kirby and he was so good with her (she could get rough too). My first golden play with the neighbors sheltie, she was 5 and had never been around puppies. She just automatically knew to be gentle and as he grew and got rougher she adjusted playing.

As for the pit puppy, I think both puppies need much more supervised play with a lot of other puppies their age. You need to step in as it starts to get to rough and separate/calm the down. Socialization at this age is very important. Is he in a puppy class? Now would be a good time to enroll him and the pit puppy too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts